|Comune di Iseo|
Location of Iseo in Italy
|Coordinates: 45°39′N 10°3′E / 45.650°N 10.050°ECoordinates: 45°39′N 10°3′E / 45.650°N 10.050°E|
|Province / Metropolitan city||Brescia (BS)|
|Frazioni||Covelo, Pilzone, Clusane|
|• Mayor||Riccardo Venchiarutti|
|• Total||25 km2 (10 sq mi)|
|Elevation||186 m (610 ft)|
|Population (31 December 2011)|
|• Density||370/km2 (960/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|Patron saint||St. Vigilius of Brescia|
|Saint day||26 September|
It has the first monument ever built of Giuseppe Garibaldi, erected in 1883.
- Oldofredi Castle, built at the end of the 11th century, beginning of the 12th century, on the site of the Torrazzo, a rock at the edge of the city. It is one of the best preserved fortified complexes of early medieval military history. This fortress has square corner towers, screened by quadrangular crossbars on an inclined base. This stronghold was named after the Ghibelline family Oldofredi from Iseo. The large tower of the southern wing is the eldest part. It has a square base of 10 metres, a height of 12 metres. Its walls are 2 metres thick. The castle was set afire by the troops of Barbarossa, during his Italian war. It was restored by Giacomo Oldofredi in 1161. During the 13th and 14th century, a rectangular castle was added to the fortified building. The castle was then surrounded by a deep moat, carved out of the solid rock. In the 14th century the castle belonged to the powerful family Della Scala from Verona. The castle lost much of its importance when the political control of Venice became stronger. It was then bought by the family Celeri. Its upkeep became so expensive that in 1586 the castle was transformed into a monastery for franciscan friars. The frescoes on some walls of the building date from the 17th-18th centuries. The friars were forced to leave the building in 1797 during the Napoleonic occupation. It became a private property and changed into a block of flats (some are still inhabited) and a spinning mill. The building was bought by the municipality of Iseo and restored in the 1960s. It is now used as a public library, a war museum and can be used for civil wedding services which can be organised by planners: I do! Italia.
- Sanctuary of Our Lady of the Snow (Santuario Madonna della Neve) was built on the remains of the ancient church of St. Stephen, for popular devotion during the plague. On 15 April 1655 the foundation stone was laid for a new sanctuary after the miraculous healing of a man who crawled on all fours and suddenly could walk normally. He ascribed it his prayer to the fresco of the Holy Family in an aedicule on the wall surrounding the ancient church.
- Pieve St. Andrea
- The parish church of S. Andrea:
- It is believed that the church was founded in the 6th century by Bishop San Vigilio on the site of a Roman temple. It was subsequently reconstructed in the 12th century in Lombard style. Over the centuries the parish church was renovated several times.
- At the beginning of the 19th century Rodolfo Vantini renovated the interior in neo-classical style. The church is characterised by an unusual bell tower incorporated into the centre of the façade and which represents the most attractive Romanesque bell tower in the Brescia area. The church is so ornate and beautiful and is regularly used for weddings. www.i-do-italia.co.uk. It is just a couple of minutes walk to the lake shore and also Garibaldi square, with the Garibaldi monument and "Vantini" Palace, the Town Hall.
- On the right-hand side of the portal there is a particularly interesting 14th century gothic arch by Giacomo Oldofredi. Inside there are frescoes by Angelo Inganni and Arcangelo Michele dell’ Hayez. In the presbytery there are frescoes by Ponziano Loverini and Giuseppe Teosa.
- Garibaldi square, with the Garibaldi monument and "Vantini" Palace, the Town Hall.
Iseo is twinned with:
- Tamsweg, Austria
- Iseo travel guide from Wikivoyage
- Photos and information about Iseo and the surrounding region
- Official website of Iseo tourism