Moniga del Garda
|Moniga del Garda|
|Comune di Moniga del Garda|
Moniga del Garda
Location of Moniga del Garda in Italy
|Coordinates: 45°31′37.92″N 10°32′20.76″E / 45.5272000°N 10.5391000°E|
|Province / Metropolitan city||Brescia (BS)|
|• Mayor||Lorella Lavo (PD)|
|• Total||14.65 km2 (5.66 sq mi)|
|Elevation||125 m (410 ft)|
|Population (31 December 2011)|
|• Density||170/km2 (440/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|Patron saint||St. Martin|
|Saint day||November 11|
Moniga del Garda is a town and comune in the province of Brescia, in the Italian region Lombardy. The municipality, located on the southwest side of Lake Garda, is bounded by other communes of Padenghe sul Garda, Manerba del Garda and Soiano del Lago.
Thanks to the remains of a pile-dwelling village it has been possible to ascertain that this area was already populated during the Early Bronze Age (1800–200 b.C.).
In the second half of the 12th century it became a feud of Ugone da Poncarale and in 1196 it was donated to the monks of Leno. Moniga was subjected to a series of dominions, among which that by the Republic of Venice and subsequently the Austrians, with whom it was linked until 1859.
From 1928 to 1947 it became a part of the Commune of Padenghe. Its unusual name is believed to come from that of the goddess Diana Muchina, who, according to the legend, was said to have a sanctuary in the area.
Chiaretto, the famous rosé wine of a light cherry colour, with its special perfume of fruit and flowers and its well-balanced, dry taste, owes its creation to Pompeo Molmenti, who dedicated his attention intensively to the cultivation of vines and wine on his estate. It was in 1896 that this lawyer, teacher of art history, member of parliament and senator gave life to the "Chiaretto", a wine which brings together the particular characteristics of red and white wine with a harmonious and incomparable taste. Moniga dedicates one events a year to this exceptional wine: in June there is the "Italia in Rosa" fair.
- St. Martin church
- The castle's tower
- The castle's main entrance