|Comune di Poncarale|
Location of Poncarale in Italy
|Coordinates: 45°28′N 10°11′E / 45.467°N 10.183°ECoordinates: 45°28′N 10°11′E / 45.467°N 10.183°E|
|Province / Metropolitan city||Brescia (BS)|
|• Total||12 km2 (5 sq mi)|
|• Density||440/km2 (1,100/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|Patron saint||Gervasius and Protasius|
|Saint day||19 June|
Origin of the name
The name comes from the Latin pons caralis to point out the driveway bridge of the castle for communicate with the burgum.
Roman and medieval era
The oldest archeological findings are from the Roman era, are those came to light in 1931 during the restoration work following the overflowing of the river Garza.
In the IX century there are a noble brescian family named Poncarali and their task was the administration of the surrounsing plain.
From XV to XIX century
There was a difficult period because there was the plague. The first church of the town was opened in 1717. In 1897 the cemetery and the town hall were built by the company of the mayor Emanuele Bertazzoli.
From 1928 to 1956 the comune was joint to the comune of Flero(it was founded the comune of Poncarale Flero) by a Royal Decree.
The territory of Poncarale is characterized by the presence of the relief of the Monte Netto,an isolated plain area. There are a lot of rivers, like Molone and Vaso Orso. The most spread crops are corn, sugar beet and soy, moreover is an important area for the vineyards.
- Piazza dei caduti in Poncarale
- The church of Poncarale
- The Vaso Orso