|Comune di Lovere|
Location of Lovere in Italy
|Coordinates: 45°48′45″N 10°04′12″E / 45.81250°N 10.07000°ECoordinates: 45°48′45″N 10°04′12″E / 45.81250°N 10.07000°E|
|Province / Metropolitan city||Bergamo (BG)|
|• Mayor||Guizzetti Giovanni|
|• Total||7.36 km2 (2.84 sq mi)|
|Population (30 November 2013)|
|• Density||730/km2 (1,900/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|Patron saint||Sts. Bartolomea Capitanio and Vincenza Gerosa|
|Saint day||May 18|
The houses in the city have overhanging wooden roofs, typical of Switzerland, united with the heavy stone arcades of Italy; it faces a lake and has a semicircle of mountains behind. Lovere is part of The most beautiful villages in Italy, an Association that notes small Italian towns of strong artistic and historical interest.
The first known settlement in Lovere area dates to the 5th and 4th century BC, being of Celtic origin. Later it was conquered by the Romans, attracted by its strategical position at the end of the Val Camonica and the beginning of the Val Cavallina, as well as for the naval transport on the Lake Iseo.
After the fall of the Western Roman Empire it was ruled by the Lombards and the Franks. Given to the monks of the Marmoutier Abbey, it was sold to the Bishops of Bergamo, who, at the time of the Guelphs and Ghibellines struggle, were in turn replaced by the Celeri family. The fights lasted until the mid-15th century, when the territory was conquered by the Republic of Venice, whose rule lasted until the French invasion in 1797.
The English aristocrat and writer Lady Mary Wortley Montagu spent ten years of her life on the shores of Lake Iseo.
- Santa Maria in Valvendra - parish church built initially in Gothic style before 1473, then replaced by Renaissance forms. It has with a nave and two aisles, and houses works by Gian Paolo Cavagna, Domenico Carpinoni and Piero Marone.
- Palazzo Tadini- palace and art gallery including paintings by Barbelli, Il Cerano, Pietro Damini, Jacopo Ligozzi, CF Nuvolone, Santo Prunati, Pietro Ricchi, Elisabetta Sirani, Paris Bordone, Ceruti, Cifrondi, Luigi Frisoni, Fra' Galgario, GD Tiepolo, Francesco Zugno and others. Paintings from the 19th century include works by Eduardo Arroyo, Bengt Lindstrom, Emilio Vedova and others. The palace is also home to marble sculptures by Benzoni, Johann Weigel, Andrea Chierici, Luciano Zambetti and Canova. The museum also contains a collection of terracotta, porcelain, antique armor and armaments, and furniture. Palazzo Tadini houses also a zoological collection.
- San Giorgio- church dating from 1263, although mostly rebuilt in the mid-15th century. It houses a Last Supper by Cavagana and Trinity with the Virgin by Palma the Younger.
- Santa Chiara- Clarissan monastery built in the early 16th century. It has some works by Sebastiano Conca.
- San Martino- oratory dated by some to the 9th century, and including some recently rediscovered frescoes in the apse.
- Castelliere -ancient fortification, some portions dating to 3rd century BC.
Lovere possesses a metallurgic plant, Lucchini RS, which employs about 1300 people and specializes in the manufacture of railroad wheels and axles.
1906 Medicine Nobel Prize Camillo Golgi studied in Lovere's Liceo Classico. Giacomo Agostini, all-time leader in victories in motorcycle Grand Prix history, was born in Lovere in 1942. Leading cinema critic and RAI author Enrico Ghezzi was born in Lovere in 1952.
- This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (1911). "article name needed". Encyclopædia Britannica (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press.
- All demographics and other statistics: Italian statistical institute Istat.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lovere.|