Assumed office |
|Political party||People Before Profit Alliance|
Bríd Smith is an Irish People Before Profit Alliance political activist, and a Teachta Dála (TD) for Dublin South-Central. Before this she sat as a Ballyfermot–Drimnagh representative on Dublin City Council, and was a candidate for the European Parliament.
Smith regularly participates in campaigns and protests. In 2001 she was an ATGWU shop steward and Secretary of the Campaign Against Partnership Deals. She was a spokesperson for the Anti-Bin Tax Campaign. She has addressed the crowd at demonstrations, such as the visit to Dublin by former British prime minister Tony Blair and the 2004 protests against the Iraq War. She has criticised health cuts implemented by the government at Cherry Orchard Hospital and organised a protest against Mary Harney on behalf of the Save Cherry Orchard Hospital Campaign. She opposed the Treaty of Lisbon. She opposes the alcohol industry's sponsorship of sporting events.
Smith was director of elections for the People Before Profit Alliance at the 2011 general election. She stood as a candidate in the Dublin constituency at the 2014 European Parliament election, splitting the left vote and being blamed in some quarters for the loss of Paul Murphy's seat.
Smith was narrowly elected as TD for Dublin South-Central at the 2016 general election. This had been the fourth time she had stood for the Dáil. On 10 March 2016, at the first sitting of the 32nd Dáil, she seconded the nomination of Richard Boyd Barrett for the role of Taoiseach.
- Murphy, Cormac (12 June 2009). "Fianna Fail rooms at City Hall taken over by Fine Gael". Independent News & Media.
- Cullen, Adam (5 February 2015). "Mixed reaction to new laws on cost of alcohol in bid to curb binge drinking". Independent News & Media.
- Moore, Kevin (1 July 2001). "'Red herrings' claim in ATGWU suspension case". Irish Independent.
- Moloney, Eugene (1 September 2003). "Bin charges row set to escalate as council pursues 'get tough' policy". Irish Independent.
- "Protests and praise for former British prime minister at Dublin book signing". The Sunday Business Post.
- Bruce, Helen (20 March 2004). "Thousands prepare to march against Irish role in Iraq war". Irish Independent.
- Mangan, Stephen (14 September 2010). "HSE to go ahead with Cherry Orchard plans". The Irish Times.
- Mangan, Stephen (22 June 2010). "Campaigners oppose cuts at Cherry Orchard hospital". The Irish Times.
- "Harney pelted with red paint". Irish Independent. 1 November 2010.
- "EU treaty opponents launch campaign in Ireland". Theparliament.com.
- O'Halloran, Marie (4 February 2011). "PBP aims to be 'significant' force". The Irish Times.
- Hennessy, Michelle (26 May 2014). "Socialists slam Brid Smith for splitting Dublin vote". TheJournal.ie.
- "Dublin South-Central". RTÉ. 2016.
- McQuinn, Cormac (10 March 2016). "Parties nominate their leaders to be the next Taoiseach". Irish Independent.