Bernardo António da Costa de Macedo
|Bernardo António da Costa de Macedo|
|Colonial governor of Cape Verde|
|Preceded by||Amâncio Alpoim de Cerqueira Borges Cabral|
|Succeeded by||Martinho Pinto de Queiros Montenegro|
16 September 1863|
16 June 1947|
Bernardo António da Costa de Sousa de Macedo. (16 September 1863 – 16 June 1947) was a Portuguese colonial administrator, a military personnel,, a politician and a judge.
D. (Sir) Bernardo António da Costa de Sousa de Macedo was the second of four sons of D. Luís António da Costa de Sousa de Macedo e Albuquerque, 5th VIscount and 3rd Count of Mesquitela, the titular Count of Madeira, the 13th Armor of the Kingdom and the 19th Master of Quinta da Bacalhoa and daughter of Mariana Carolina da Mota e Silva and brother of the 1st Count of Estarreja.
Marriage and children
He swas married in the parish (now neighborhood) of Lapa on 14 October 1886 to Maria Adelaide Pinto Barbosa Cardoso (30 November 1865 in Santos-o-Velho-23 June 1958 in Lisbon), daughter of Manuel José Cardoso (1823 - 29 January 1878 in Lapa, Lisbon) and Adelaide Sofia Pinto Barbosa (28 November 1864 in Lisbon-year of death unknown).
He was later vice-admiral and commander general of the Portuguese Army, the 40th civil governor of the District of Funchal between 21 February and 13 June 1901, the 45th civil governor of the autonomous district of Funchal between 6 June 1906 and 13 July 1907. He was governor of Cape Verde between 1907 and 1909. Afterwards, he was member of the Auditor's Court, took part in the First World War.
He received decorations including:
- Grand Officer of the Military Order of Avis of Portugal (11 March 1919)
- Grand Cross of the Military Order of Avis of Portugal (19 October 1920)
- Grand Cross of the Order of Christ of Portugal (22 October 1930)
- Knight of the Military Order of the Tower and of the Sword of Portugal
- Grand Cross of the Civil Order of Merit of Spain
- Grand Cross of the Military Order of Merit of Spain
- Grand Officer of the Order of the Crown of Italy
- Grand Officer of the Order of the Crown (Belgium)
- Commander of the National Order of the Legion of Honour of France
- Commander of the Naval Order of Merit of Spain
- Commander of the Order of the Brilliant Star of Zanzibar
- "Nobreza de Portugal e do Brasil", Direcção de Afonso Eduardo Martins Zúquete, Editorial Enciclopédia, 2nd Edition, Lisbon, 1989, Volume III, p. 567
- Vasconcelos e Sousa, D. Gonçalo de Mesquita da Silveira (1997). Costados (First ed.). Porto: Livraria Esquina., no. 37 & 107
- "Cape Verde". rulers.org.
- "Cape Verde". worldstatesmen.org.
- "Cidadãos Nacionais Agraciados com Ordens Portuguesas" (in Portuguese). Presidency of the Portuguese Republic. Retrieved 1 August 2013.
Amâncio Alpoim de Cerqueira Borges Cabral
|Colonial governor of Cape Verde
| Succeeded by|
Martinho Pinto de Queiros Montenegro