Order of the Brilliant Star of Zanzibar
|Order of the Brilliant Star of Zanzibar|
|Ribbon of the order|
|Awarded by Sultan of Zanzibar|
|Status||Awarded by the Zanzibar Royal Family|
The Order of the Brilliant Star of Zanzibar (Wisam al-Kawkab al-Durri al-Zanzibari) is a decoration awarded by the Sultan of Zanzibar for meritorious services and since The Order of Independence was created in 1963 it is reserved for the persons rendering extraordinary service to the Sultan, his heirs and successors and other members of the Royal family. It was state order from its inception in 1865 to the overthrow of the Sultanate on 12 January 1964 and currently is House Order of the Zanzibar Royal Family. Current Grand Master is His Majesty Sayyid Jamshid bin Abdullah Al Said, Titular Sultan of Zanzibar. Initially the decoration had two grades, the first of which was usually awarded to foreign heads of state and the second which was further subdivided into five hierarchical classes. Currently the second grade only is being awarded.
The Order was instituted by Sultan Sayyid Majid bin Said Al-Busaid in 1865, amended by Sultan Barghash bin Said on 22 December 1875, and amended again by Sultan Sayyid Sir Khalifa II bin Harub Al-Said on 5 August 1918 when it became an award in five classes for meritorious service (1. First Class – limited to 40 recipients, 2. Second Class – 60 recipients, 3. Third Class – 80 recipients, 4. Fourth Class – 90 recipients, and 5. Fifth Class – 100 recipients).
Both classes awarded neck medals in medallion form to be worn around the neck on formal occasions and breast badges, smaller awards which could be worn on the left breast like conventional medals. The neck medal was made of silver gilt, enamel and gold with a five pointed star surrounded by a wreath. The centre of the medal featured a portrait of the awarding Sultan for the first grade medals and the Sultan's monogram in gold on a red background for the second grade. The breast order was an eight pointed star in silver, again featuring the Sultan's portrait for the first grade and a monogram for the second. The ribbon for all medals was red with white edges.
Classes and insignia
- Grand Cross
- Grand Cross
- Grand Officer
|Grand Cross||Grand Cross||Commander||Officer|
Distinguished knights and dames
- HRH Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowdon
- HRH Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh
- HH Prince Shah Karim Al Hussaini, Aga Khan IV
- HIRH Ismail the Magnificent
Neck and breast versions of the First (or sovereign's) Order
Neck version of the third class of the Second Order
Breast version of the Second Order
- "Zanzibar". Royal Ark. Retrieved 2015-08-05.
- "Royal Families of the World". nobility-royalty.com. Retrieved 2015-08-05.
- "Princess Margaret". UK Royal Family. Retrieved 2015-08-05.
- "Prince Philip Biography". thefamouspeople.com. Retrieved 2015-08-05.
- "Aga Khan Titles and Honours". ismaili.net. Retrieved 2015-08-05.
- "Egypt Arms". hubert-herald.nl. Retrieved 2015-08-05.
- Patience, Kevin (1994), Zanzibar and the Shortest War in History, Bahrain: Kevin Patience, p. 17.
- The Official Website of the Zanzibar Royal Family http://www.zanzibarroyalfamily.org