Logan City, Queensland
Huggins Avenue, 2014
|Coordinates||27°46′S 153°06′E / 27.767°S 153.100°ECoordinates: 27°46′S 153°06′E / 27.767°S 153.100°E|
|Location||45 km (28 mi) from Brisbane GPO|
Before European settlement, which began around 1862, the land was occupied by the Wangerriburra Clan of the Yugambeh language group. The name Yarrabilba comes from the Wangerriburra/Bundjalung language for place of song. The area contained two bora rings where ceremonies involving singing took place.
On 28 November 2014, a portion of Yarrabilba was excised to create a new locality, Kairabah.
In 2010, it was announced that Yarrabilba would be the location for a future city which is expected to contain 20,000 dwellings housing up to 50,000 people. Two other new urban centres were to be established at Greater Flagstone also in Logan City and Ecco Ripley in the City of Ipswich.
In 2011, development began for the new urban precinct. Lend-Lease was granted approval for the development of the first 93.2 hectare stage of the project.
As of July 2016 Yarrabilba consists of five (5) neighbourhoods (villages); The Avenues, Oak Leaf, The Retreat, Sunrise Crossing, and Vista.
- "Yarrabilba (entry 45299)". Queensland Place Names. Queensland Government. Retrieved 14 May 2014.
- "Logan suburbs". About-Logan. Logan City Council. Retrieved 31 January 2013.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Yarrabilba (GL)". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 1 July 2014.
- "Yarrabilba". Logan Suburbs. Logan City Council. Retrieved 9 May 2012.
- "Camp Cable". Queensland WWII Historic Places. Department of Housing and Public Works, Queensland Government. Retrieved 30 July 2013.
- "Yarrabilba (entry 49447)". Queensland Place Names. Queensland Government. Retrieved 31 March 2016.
- "Kairabah (entry 49451)". Queensland Place Names. Queensland Government. Retrieved 31 March 2016.
- "Yarrabilba". Department of State Development, Infrastructure and Planning. 21 November 2013. Retrieved 5 January 2014.
- "Yarrabilba". Planning & Building. Logan City Council. Retrieved 9 May 2012.
- "Community Villages in Yarrabilba - Lendlease". communities.lendlease.com. Retrieved 2015-12-23.
Media related to Yarrabilba, Queensland at Wikimedia Commons