University of Sassari
|Università degli Studi di Sassari|
|Motto||svsceptvm perfice mvnvs|
|Sports teams||CUS Sassari (http://cus.uniss.it/)|
The University of Sassari earned first place in the rankings for the best “medium- sized” Italian university, in 2009-2010, by the Censis Research Institute. while in 2012 tumbled down to the 6th position among the best Italian universities.
History and Profile
The University of Sassari was founded by Alessio Fontana, member of Imperial Chancellery of Emperor Charles V and a distinguished gentleman in the town of Sassari in 1558. The official opening dates back to the month of May 1562. It was first run by the Jesuits.
Today, the University, which is of medium size, with a total number of over 18.000 students and about 700 teachers, comprises eleven faculties and over 40 departments, study centres and institutes. There are several specialist schools, research institutions, schools for special research and postgraduate schools.
These are the 11 faculties in which the university is divided into:
- Faculty of Agriculture
- Faculty of Architecture
- Faculty of Arts
- Faculty of Economics and Business
- Faculty of Foreign Languages and Literature
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Mathematical, Physical and Natural Sciences
- Faculty of Medicine and Surgery
- Faculty of Political Science
- Faculty of Pharmacy
- Faculty of Veterinary Medicine
Points of interest
- http://www.universita.it/medi-atenei-classifica-censis-2009/ Sassari 1° in classifica Censis tra gli atenei medi per servizi a studenti (in italian)
- http://www.sardegnaoggi.it/Costume/2012-11-10/19922/Universita_di_Sassari_al_6_posto_della_classifica_degli_atenei_italiani.html Università di Sassari al 6° posto della classifica degli atenei italiani
- (Italian) University of Sassari Website