Center of Roscoff from Sainte Barbe chapel
|Coordinates: 48°43′38″N 3°59′04″W / 48.7272°N 3.9844°WCoordinates: 48°43′38″N 3°59′04″W / 48.7272°N 3.9844°W|
|• Mayor (2014–2020)||Joseph Séïté|
|Area1||6.19 km2 (2.39 sq mi)|
|• Density||590/km2 (1,500/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|INSEE/Postal code||29239 / 29680|
0–58 m (0–190 ft) |
(avg. 6 m or 20 ft)
1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.
Roscoff is renowned for its picturesque architecture, labeled "petite cité de caractère de Bretagne" (small town of character) since 2009. Roscoff is also a traditional departure point for Onion Johnnies.
After lobbying by local economic leaders headed by Alexis Gourvennec, the French government agreed in 1968 to provide a deep water port at Roscoff. Existing ferry operators were reluctant to take on the relatively long Plymouth/Roscoff crossing, so Gourvennec and colleagues founded Brittany Ferries. Since the early 1970s, Roscoff has been developed as a ferry port for the transport of Breton agricultural produce, and for car-based tourism. Brittany Ferries and Irish Ferries link Roscoff with both Ireland and the United Kingdom.
- Roscoff parish church Our Lady of Croaz Batz (Notre Dame de Croaz Batz): Renaissance and Gothic church from the 16th century
- The house known as "that of Mary, Queen of Scots"
- The Station Biologique de Roscoff, a research laboratory in oceanography and marine biology.
- The Jardin Exotique de Roscoff
Inhabitants of Roscoff are called in French Roscovites.
The municipality launched a linguistic plan through Ya d'ar brezhoneg on 14 November 2008.
- In 1375, the harbour was destroyed by the Earl of Arundel. It would later be rebuilt at its current location, at Kroas Batz.
- From 1522 to 1545–1550, construction the Church of Our Lady of Kroas Batz (see Monuments above).
- In 1548, the six-year-old Mary, Queen of Scots, having been betrothed to the Dauphin François, disembarks at Roscoff.
- In 1790, Roscoff was raised to independent commune. Until this time, the town had effectively depended on Saint-Pol-de-Léon.
- The illustrator Henry Gerbault and his wife moved to Roscoff in 1919 and lived there the rest of their lives.
Twin towns – Sister cities
Roscoff is twinned with:
- View of Roscoff from Île-de-Batz
- Boats at low tide in Roscoff
- Roscoff Harbour at low tide
- Roscoff from Bridge to the ferry to Île-de-Batz at low tide
- The Renaissance spire (1576) of Roscoff parish church Our Lady of Croaz Batz
- The lighthouse
- Sainte Barbe chapel
- Ar Vil from the sea
- Alexandre Dumas's house during the summer 1869.
- City of Roscoff: Roscoff awarded "Petite cité de caractère de Bretagne" (small town of character) (in French)
- (French) Ofis ar Brezhoneg: Enseignement bilingue
- "British towns twinned with French towns". Archant Community Media Ltd. Retrieved 2013-07-11.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Roscoff.|
- The commune's website
- Tourism office
- Daily life in Roscoff
- Jardin exotique de Roscoff (Roscoff exotic garden) (French)
- Cultural Heritage (French)
- The Perharidy point diving centre's official website
- Bernard Beaulien Painter (French)
- Tripping diary (English)
- Station Biologique de Roscoff (English), (French)
- Brittany Ferries (English), (French), (German), (Spanish)
- Port of Roscoff (English), (French)