Mir Castle Complex
|Mir Castle Complex|
|Name as inscribed on the World Heritage List|
|UNESCO region||Europe and North America|
|Inscription||2000 (24th Session)|
Coordinates: 53°27′4.46″N 26°28′22.80″E / 53.4512389°N 26.4730000°E The Mirsky Castle Complex (Belarusian: Мірскі замак, Polish: Zamek w Mirze) is a UNESCO World Heritage site in Belarus. It is in the town of Mir, in the Karelichy District of the Hrodna voblast, at 53°27′4.46″N 26°28′22.80″E / 53.4512389°N 26.4730000°E, 29 kilometres (18 mi) north-west of another World Heritage site, Nesvizh Castle. Mir Castle Complex is 164 metres (538 ft) above sea level.
From 1921 to 1939 the castle belonged to the territory of Poland.
Duke Yuri Ivanovich Ilyinich (pl:Jerzy Iwanowicz Ilinicz) began construction of the castle near the village of Mir after the turn of the 16th century in the Belarusian Gothic style. Five towers surrounded the courtyard of the citadel, the walls of which formed a square of 75 metres (246 ft) on each side. In 1568, when the Ilyinich dynasty died out, the Mir Castle passed into the hands of Mikołaj Krzysztof "the Orphan" Radziwiłł, who refitted it with a two-winged, three-story stately residence along the eastern and northern inner walls of the castle. Plastered facades were decorated with limestone portals, plates, balconies and porches in the Renaissance style.
In 1817, after the castle had been abandoned for nearly a century and had suffered severe damage in the Battle of Mir (1812), owner Dominik Hieronim Radziwiłł died of battle injuries and the castle passed to his daughter Stefania, who married Ludwig zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg. Later the castle became a possession of their daughter Maria, who married Prince Chlodwig Hohenlohe-Schillingsfürst.
Their son, Maurice Hohenlohe-Schillingsfürst, sold the castle to Nikolai Svyatopolk-Mirsky, of the Bialynia clan, in 1895. Nikolai's son Mikhail began to rebuild the castle according to the plans of architect Teodor Bursze. The Svyatopolk-Mirsky family owned the castle until 1939, when the Soviet Union occupied eastern Poland.
When German forces invaded the Soviet Union in 1941, they occupied the castle and converted it to a ghetto for the local Jewish population, prior to their liquidation. Between 1944 and 1956, the castle was used as a housing facility, resulting in damage to the castle's interior.
Related World Heritage Sites
- File::Castle of Mir, Byelorus.jpg
- "21 World Heritage Sites you have probably never heard of". Daily Telegraph.
- "Landmarks, historic and cultural, and natural sites of the Republic of Belarus on the UNESCO World Heritage List". Land of Ancestors. National Statistical Committee of the Republic of Belarus. 2011. Retrieved 12 October 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mir Castle Complex.|
- Mir Castle Official Website
- Mir Castle on official website of the Republic of Belarus
- Castle in Mir
- Official UNESCO site
- The Mir Castle
- Photos on Radzima.org
- Jurkau kutoczak — Юркаў куточак — Yury's Corner. Старажытнае дойлідства Міра
- Photos on Globus.tut.by
- Mir Castle on 3D F4 Map