The Ostroh Castle (Ukrainian: Острозький замок, Ostroz'kyi zamok, Polish: Zamek w Ostrogu) is a castle in the city of Ostroh, located in the Rivne Oblast of western Ukraine. In the 14th, 15th and 16th centuries, the castle was the key stronghold of the powerful House of Ostroh. Today it is in ruins.
The castle itself is located in a relatively small elevated oval plaza. The area's natural geography helped to fortify the complex; the southern and eastern sides of the fortress raised upon a 20-meter high cliff, and the northern and western sides separate the city by series of trenches (moats) that replaced the big ravine.
The first wooden fortifications were built in the area before the 1241 Mongol invasion of Rus, during which they were subsequently destroyed. The ruins were later reconstructed by Knyaz Daniil from the Ostrogky family on the city's Sudovy Hill (castle hill). Since then, more additions and reconstructions were carried out, although the complex still retains its Medieval architecture.
The castle complex consists of four main structures: the Guard Tower (Vezha murovana) where the castle's museum is located, the Bohoyavlenska Church, the New Tower, and the Belltower (constructed in 1905).
A small park sits right next to the castle, separated by a small moat. A monument was placed in the park in 1978, commemorating the 400 anniversary of the foundation of the Ostroh Academy. A building used to stand in the same location, in which the "Azbuka" (alphabet) and the Ostrog Bible were printed by Ivan Fedorov.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ostroh castle.|
- "Castle complex of the city of Ostroh". Seven Wonders of Ukraine (in Ukrainian). Retrieved 2008-05-12.
- "Ostroh". Castles and churches of Ukraine (in Ukrainian). Retrieved 2008-05-12.
- "Ostroh Castle". National Taras Shevchenko University of Kyiv (in Ukrainian). Retrieved 2008-05-12.
- "Ostrih". Encyclopedia of Ukraine. Retrieved 2008-05-21.