Location of Ichinomiya in Aichi Prefecture
|Coordinates: 35°18′14″N 136°48′11″E / 35.30389°N 136.80306°ECoordinates: 35°18′14″N 136°48′11″E / 35.30389°N 136.80306°E|
|• Total||113.82 km2 (43.95 sq mi)|
|Population (March 2015)|
|• Density||3,330/km2 (8,600/sq mi)|
|Time zone||Japan Standard Time (UTC+9)|
|- Tree||Round-Leaf Holly|
|- Flower||Chinese bellflower|
|Address||2-5-6 Honmachi, Ichinomiya-shi, Aichi-ken 491-8501|
Ichinomiya is situated in western Aichi Prefecture, bordered by Gifu Prefecture to the west.
- Aichi Prefecture
- Gifu Prefecture
The modern town of Ichinomiya was founded with the establishment of the municipalities system on April 1, 1889. It was raised to city status on September 1, 1921. The city annexed the neighboring villages of Haguri and Nishinari in 1940, and with an additional eight surrounding municipalities (the villages of Chiaki, Tanyo and Kitakata, and the towns of Asai, Yamato, Akiwara, Oku and a portion of Imaise) in 1955.
On April 1, 2002 Ichinomiya was designated as a Special City, with increased local autonomy. On April 1, 2005, the city was further expanded by absorbing the city of Bisai, and the town of Kisogawa (from Haguri District) which would make the city the fourth largest in Aichi Prefecture, behind Nagoya, Toyota, and Toyohashi.
Traditional noted for textiles, Ichinomiya is now a regional commercial center with a mixed economy of manufacturing and agriculture. Kanesue has its headquarters in Ichinomiya. It moved to its current headquarters in July 1976.
- Shubun University
- Aichi Kiwami College of Nursing
- Ichinomiya has 42 elementary schools, 19 public and one private middle schools, and 10 public and two private high schools, in addition to two special education schools.
- Meitetsu – Bisai Line
- Meitetsu – Nagoya Main Line
- Meishin Expressway – Owari Ichinomiya PA, Ichinomiya IC, Ichinomita JCT
- Tōkai-Hokuriku Expressway – Ichinomiya JCT, Ichinomiya-Nishi IC, Hizai IC, Ichinomiya-Kisogawa IC
- Route 16 (Nagoya Expressway)
- Japan National Route 22
- Japan National Route 155
- RRR Material it's a project run by a team of local people, whose mission is to preserve and support local wool makers. Their shop offers high quality, locally made textiles and yarn with affordable prices. The shop RRR Material is located in an old wool trading centre in a close proximity to the station [5 min walk], which is another reason to visit. RRR Material
- A Second Life Of Noko Giri exhibition and art space, if you wish to see an old weaving factory inside - this is the place, the owners speak English, so if you wish to learn a little bit about the history of the place and the area - this is your destination. You can also stay for a night in their place, for arrangements - contact them directly. Noko Giri II
- Slow Room a vegetarian bar famous for life music events, close proximity to the station. Slow Room
- Sanpachiya a bar, where you can try locally brewed beers, it also serves as a community gathering place, the owner speaks good English and since he is involved in a local art scene, he can tell you where to go and what is currently happening in the town. Sanpachiya Bar
Noted people from Ichinomiya
- Masaaki Kanda, politician
- Shinichi Kondoh, retired baseball player
- Fusae Ichikawa , feminist
- Tetsuma Esaki, politician
- Yukiko Okada, singer
- Haruka Tomatsu, voice actress
- Hisa Ōta, stage actress
- Kazuo Funaki, actor
- Jōji Matsuoka, movie director
Media related to Ichinomiya, Aichi at Wikimedia Commons
- Official website (Japanese)