Location of Toyonaka in Osaka Prefecture
Location in Japan
|Coordinates: 34°47′N 135°28′E / 34.783°N 135.467°ECoordinates: 34°47′N 135°28′E / 34.783°N 135.467°E|
|• Mayor||Keiichirō Asari|
|• Total||36.38 km2 (14.05 sq mi)|
|Population (January 2010)|
|• Density||10,680/km2 (27,700/sq mi)|
|• Tree||Sweet Osmanthus|
|Time zone||Japan Standard Time (UTC+9)|
|City hall address||
3-1-1 Nakasakurazuka, Toyonaka-shi, Osaka-fu|
Toyonaka is a residential area of Osaka Prefecture, and includes Senri New Town.
The city is easy to reach through various modes of transportation, and many of its residents commute daily into Osaka City to work. Osaka University and Osaka Music College have their campuses in Toyonaka.
The Consulate-General of Russia in Osaka is located in Toyonaka.
From ancient times until today Toyonaka has had a sizable population. The events inciting the Jōkyū War were related to an event in Toyonaka. A case on a matter between a favorite lady of the retired emperor Emperor Go-Toba and a local jitō was wrongly resolved, and then the former had the Emperor redecide the case in her favor.
The city is served by the Osaka Monorail (Senri-Chūō Station, Shōji Station, Shibahara Station, Hotarugaike Station and Osaka Airport Station), the Kita-Osaka Kyūkō Railway (Senri-Chūō Station and Ryokuchi-kōen Station) and the Hankyu Takarazuka Line (Shōnai Station, Hattori-tenjin Station, Sone Station, Okamachi Station, Toyonaka Station and Hotarugaike Station).
Points of interest
- Takashi Fujii - television performer
- Mai Hosho - actress
- Tak Matsumoto - musician and guitarist (B'z)
- Yoshihiro Murai - governor of Miyagi prefecture (2005–present)
- Masashi Oguro - soccer player
- Kaoru Shintani - manga artist
- Endō Shōzō - comedian
- Tanaka Naoki - comedian
- Osamu Tezuka - manga artist and animator
- Sankichi Tōge - poet
- Hitomi Yaida - singer and songwriter
- Masahiro Yamaguchi also known as Yama-B - (ex-Galneryus singer) musician
- Yukie Nishimura - pianist and composer