Anglican Diocese of North Queensland
The Anglican Diocese of North Queensland in Australia extends from Sarina in central Queensland to the Torres Strait Islands in the north and Mount Isa in the west. There are 54 parishes in the diocese,supported by 120 licensed clergy as at February 2015.
The cathedral church of the diocese is the Cathedral of St James, Townsville, Queensland. The diocese also owns and operates St Mark's College, a residential college for men and women at James Cook University, Townsville.
The other main institutional thrust of the Diocese is in welfare, with the operation of the following:
- Anglicare North Queensland
- The Good Shepherd Nursing Home, Townsville (Co-trustee)
- The Good Shepherd Lodge (Aged Persons Home), Mackay
The North Queensland Diocese is a supporter of Wontulp-bi-Buya College in Cairns which specialises in indigenous adult education including theological studies. This college is an ecumenical venture and is the Queensland partner of Nungalinya College, Darwin.
Early history of the diocese
Prior to the establishment of the Diocese of North Queensland, the Anglican Diocese of Sydney had responsibility for all areas of Australia outside a diocese.
The Anglican Church commenced its ministry in the region in 1870 with the arrival in Townsville of James Adams, newly graduated from Moore Theological College in Sydney. As there were no church building in Townsville, services were conducted in the Townsville Court House until Adams could arrange for a church to be constructed.
The Diocese of North Queensland was established in 1879 from that part of the Diocese of Sydney lying north of 22°S latitude in the State of Queensland. In 1900 the Diocese of Carpentaria was formed from part of the northern area of the diocese, but in 1996 this action was reversed.
- "Cleveland Bay.". The Queenslander (Brisbane, Qld. : 1866 - 1939). Brisbane, Qld.: National Library of Australia. 2 July 1870. p. 10. Retrieved 19 October 2013.
- "The Anglican Church.". Cairns Post (Qld. : 1909 - 1954). Qld.: National Library of Australia. 23 November 1936. p. 10. Retrieved 19 October 2013.
- "Anglican Diocese of North Queensland" (PDF). Retrieved 2012-12-30.