Casa del Tesoro (Madrid)
The Casa del Tesoro or Treasure's House was a former building next to the also former Royal Alcázar of Madrid.
During the 16th century, the former Alcázar of Madrid was extensively remodeled to convert what once had been an ancient fortress, into a royal palace able to host the king and his court.
But the ancient medieval castle was not only renovated, but also its dependencies were spreading around: to the south with the construction of the Royal Stables, to north with the plaza del Picadero and the gardens of La Priora, and to east with the construction of the Casas de Oficios (Houses of Offices), the new kitchens and the Casa del Tesoro (Treasure's House). The latters were built from 1568 after buying to Don Bernardino de Mendoza of what hereinafter it called Casa del Tesoro. Subsequently, was acquired the space between the Casa del Tesoro and the Alcázar to build the new facilities of the kitchens and offices. All this new complex had direct communication with the Alcázar by a passageway.
With the founding of the Monasterio de la Encarnación in 1611, the area underwent a major expansion as was built a new passageway linking the mentioned monastery with the Treasure's House. With this new building, the Kings could directly access to the Encarnación from the palace.
During the reign of Philip V, the Casa del Tesoro was remodeled to install inside the Royal Library, the forerunner of the National Library.
Buried under the plaza were basements and canvases of the building facades and the pavement of the old street of the Treasure, on the south side, which disappeared with the construction of the underground parking and the tunnel of calle Bailén.
- Archaeologists discovered buried facades of the Casa del Tesoro and an Islamic foundation, all this gave an idea of the extent of the building