Romanesque churches in Madrid
The first parishes of the Christian Madrid were the ten mentioned in the letter of Granting of the Fuero; some of them would be inherited from existing Muslim mosques prior to the conquest of Alfonso VI, and others were born under the new Christian neighborhood that was established in the city since 1085. All of these were located outside the walls of the Christian walls, poor of membership and of material resources in the early stages. The only ones who like to recall its original trace are the temples of San Nicolás and San Pedro with towers of the 12th and 13th centuries, and various Mudéjar, Gothic and Renaissance elements; San Andrés also retains some vestige of the medieval manufactures; also it has found remains of the church of San Juan and it documented the old cemetery would be built around the apse of the church of San Andrés, then oriented east and which was buried Saint Isidore the Laborer. The urban interior space and the population was structured around these parishes, originating the called colaciones, religious-administrative units that governed the life in the religious, civil, political and administrative and were forced registration to enjoy the right of neighborhood. This was one of the elements that favored the progressive cohesion of the local groups and the constitution of the Municipalities in the Middle Ages.
In the following table it summarize the current state of the ten churches. These are listed in the order of its seniority (starting with the oldest) as proposed Quintana, based on the order that followed in the general processions:
|These Romanesque churches
with original elements
to a new design
|San Miguel de la Sagra|
|San Miguel de los Octoes|
- Another Romanesque churches that was or are in Madrid
- Church of Santa Cruz, built in 13th century, and demolished in 1868. Now is disappeared.
- Ermita de San Pelayo y San Isidoro was built in Ávila, but moved its ruins in late-19th century to Madrid. Now its remains are located in Madrid.