Ylitornio welcome sign
Location of Ylitornio in Finland
|Coordinates: 66°19′N 023°40′E / 66.317°N 23.667°ECoordinates: 66°19′N 023°40′E / 66.317°N 23.667°E|
|Sub-region||Tornio Valley sub-region|
|• Municipal manager||Tuomo Karjalainen|
|• Total||2,212.69 km2 (854.32 sq mi)|
|• Land||2,028.86 km2 (783.35 sq mi)|
|• Water||183.83 km2 (70.98 sq mi)|
|Area rank||35th largest in Finland|
|• Rank||201st largest in Finland|
|• Density||2.1/km2 (5/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||99.3% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||13%|
|• 15 to 64||60%|
|• 65 or older||27%|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
|Municipal tax rate||19.25%|
It is located in the province of Lapland along the Tornio River, opposite the Swedish town of Övertorneå. The municipality has a population of 4,265 (31 March 2016) and covers an area of 2,212.69 square kilometres (854.32 sq mi) of which 183.83 km2 (70.98 sq mi) is water. The population density is 2.1 inhabitants per square kilometre (5.4/sq mi).
A unique ski flying hill project has been presented. The inruns of the hills will be through a mountain inside a pipe tunnel.
- "Area by municipality as of 1 January 2011" (PDF) (in Finnish and Swedish). Land Survey of Finland. Retrieved 9 March 2011.
- "Ennakkoväkiluku sukupuolen mukaan alueittain, maaliskuu.2016" (in Finnish). Statistics Finland. Retrieved 31 March 2016.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age and gender by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 28 April 2009.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2011". Tax Administration of Finland. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
Media related to Ylitornio at Wikimedia Commons