Location of Ranua in Finland
|Coordinates: 65°56′N 026°31′E / 65.933°N 26.517°ECoordinates: 65°56′N 026°31′E / 65.933°N 26.517°E|
|• Municipal manager||Kimmo Sarapää|
|• Total||3,694.82 km2 (1,426.58 sq mi)|
|• Land||3,453.73 km2 (1,333.49 sq mi)|
|• Water||241.09 km2 (93.09 sq mi)|
|Area rank||16th largest in Finland|
|• Rank||208th largest in Finland|
|• Density||1.16/km2 (3.0/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||99.8% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||20.6%|
|• 15 to 64||60.5%|
|• 65 or older||18.9%|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
|Municipal tax rate||19.25%|
It is located in the province of Lapland. The municipality has a population of 4,001 (31 March 2016) and covers an area of 3,694.82 square kilometres (1,426.58 sq mi) of which 241.09 km2 (93.09 sq mi) is water. The population density is 1.16 inhabitants per square kilometre (3.0/sq mi).
The municipality is unilingually Finnish.
Villages within the municipality of Ranua are inclusive of Asmunti, Hosio, Impiö, Kelankylä, Kortteenperä, Kuha, Kuukasjärvi, Mauru, Nuupas, Petäjäjärvi, Pohjaslahti–Piittisjärvi, Portimo, Putkivaara, Raiskio, Rovastinaho, Saariharju, Saukkojärvi, Sääskilahti, Teerivaara, Telkkälä and Tolja.
Nature of Ranua
Perhaps the most well known attraction is the Ranua Zoo, a wildlife park of arctic animal species which is the northernmost zoo in the world.
Other notable attractions within the municipality of Ranua are inclusive of the Saukkojärvi Local History and School Museum located in the village of Saukkojärvi, Finland, the Hillamarkkinat, Poro Island and the Church of Ranua.
- "Area by municipality as of 1 January 2011" (PDF) (in Finnish and Swedish). Land Survey of Finland. Retrieved 9 March 2011.
- "Ennakkoväkiluku sukupuolen mukaan alueittain, maaliskuu.2016" (in Finnish). Statistics Finland. Retrieved 31 March 2016.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age and gender by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 28 April 2009.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2011". Tax Administration of Finland. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- The amount of lakes in Ranua. Jarviwiki.
- Media related to Ranua at Wikimedia Commons
- Ranua travel guide from Wikivoyage
- Municipality of Ranua – Official website