Walter Walsh (hurler)
|Irish name||Ualtar Breathnach|
|Position||Right Corner Forward|
25 May 1991|
Rosbercon, County Kilkenny, Ireland
|Height||1.93 m (6 ft 4 in)|
|*Inter County team apps and scores correct as of 14:17, 7 July 2014.|
Born in Rosbercon, County Kilkenny, Walsh first excelled at hurling in his youth. He arrived on the inter-county scene at the age of seventeen when he first linked up with the Kilkenny minor team, before later joining the under-21 side. Walsh made his senior debut during the 2012 championship and immediately became a regular member of the starting fifteen. Since then he has won three All-Ireland medals, one Leinster medal and two National Hurling League medals.
Walsh has enjoyed much success with Tullogher-Rosbercon during his short club career.
In 2008 Walsh was only seventeen years-old when he was a key forward on the club's top team. He won a Leinster medal that year as Wexford side Clongeen were accounted for on a score line of 1-19 to 3-8. Tullogher were subsequently beaten by Dripsey in the All-Ireland final.
Walsh first came to prominence on the inter-county scene as a member of the Kilkenny minor team in 2008. He won a Leinster medal that year before later lining out in the All-Ireland decider against Galway. Kilkenny were outplayed for much of the game, however, a late goal secured a 3-6 to 0-13 victory and an All-Ireland medal for Walsh.
Walsh later played with the Kilkenny under-21 team, however, he enjoyed little success in this grade. He won a Leinster medal in this grade in 2012 following a huge 4-24 to 1-13 defeat of Laois. 'The Cats' were later considered warm favourites for the All-Ireland title, however, Clare won the decider by 2-17 to 2-11.
By this stage Walsh had also joined the Kilkenny senior team. He made his championship debut at full-forward in the All-Ireland final replay against Galway. He scored 1-3 from play and collected his first All-Ireland medal as Kilkenny defeated Galway by 3-22 to 3-11. Walsh finished off a memorable debut by claiming the man of the match award.
- All-Ireland Senior Hurling Championship (3): 2012, 2014 (sub), 2015
- Leinster Senior Hurling Championship (3): 2014, 2015, 2016
- National Hurling League (2): 2013, 2014
- Leinster Under-21 Hurling Championship (1): 2012
- All-Ireland Minor Hurling Championship (1): 2008
- Leinster Minor Hurling Championship (2): 2008, 2009
- "Meet the team". The Kilkenny People. 8 September 2012. Retrieved 8 September 2012.
- McCoy, Niall (1 October 2012). "Walt a debut!". Gaelic Life. Retrieved 1 October 2012.
- "Brilliant Tullogher take Leinster crown". Munster Express. 8 September 2012. Retrieved 29 September 2012.
- "Tullogher in tears as Dripsey take title". Kilkenny People. 18 February 2009. Retrieved 29 September 2012.
- "Kilkenny outplayed, but plunder Galway hopes with goals". Galway Advertiser. 11 September 2008. Retrieved 29 September 2012.
- "Kilkenny 2-11 Galway 2-15". RTÉ Sport. 6 September 2009. Retrieved 29 September 2012.
- "Cats make Laois nightmare come true". Irish Examiner. 12 July 2012. Retrieved 29 September 2012.
- "Clare fight back to claim under-21 crown". Irish Times. 15 September 2012. Retrieved 29 September 2012.
- "Kilkenny make two changes for replay". RTÉ Sport. 29 September 2012. Retrieved 29 September 2012.
- "Imperious Kilkenny win All-Ireland at ease". RTÉ Sport. 30 September 2012. Retrieved 30 September 2012.
- "Super Wally". Tullogher-Rosbercon GAA. 3 October 2012. Retrieved 3 October 2012.
- "Walter Walsh Interview". GAA.ie. 1 September 2015. Retrieved 2 September 2015.
|All-Ireland Senior Hurling Final
Man of the Match
| Succeeded by|