The Son of Sobek
|"The Son of Sobek"|
Cover art for The Son of Sobek
|Series||The Kane Chronicles, The Heroes of Olympus, Percy Jackson & the Olympians|
|Genre(s)||Fantasy short story|
|Publisher||Disney Hyperion and Puffin Books|
|Media type||E-book, audio book, paperback, hardcover (April 5, 2016)|
|Publication date||June 18, 2013|
|Preceded by||"The Blood of Olympus, The Serpent's Shadow"|
|Followed by||"The Staff of Serapis"|
The Son of Sobek is a 2013 fantasy short story written by Rick Riordan. It is a crossover between Riordan's series Percy Jackson and the Olympians/Heroes of Olympus and The Kane Chronicles. It was released with the paperback version of The Serpent's Shadow on May 7, 2013 and as a single e-book on June 18, 2013. On April 5, 2016, it was released as the first of three short stories in a hardcover novel entitled Demigods and Magicians: Percy and Annabeth Meet the Kanes.
After hearing reports about magical disturbances in the Long Island area, Carter Kane goes to investigate. He is unexpectedly swallowed by a ginormous crocodile while exploring, but is saved by a strange boy. The teenager turns out to be Percy Jackson. After a brief disagreement that leave both confused about the other's origins, Percy and Carter decide to team up to deal with the monster terrorizing New York City. Carter hypothesizes that the beast is a petsuchos, a son of the god Sobek, and thus immortal as long as its gold necklace is intact. They track it into a nearby neighborhood. The two work together to alternately distract the monster, attempt to dislodge the necklace, and protect the local mortal children. After the necklace is removed, the monster shrinks into a baby crocodile and the heroes head to a diner to talk. Percy and Carter are guarded about what they share, but devise a way to contact each other again if needed. they go their separate ways, and Carter takes both the crocodile and necklace back to the 21st Nome for safekeeping.
- Percy Jackson- Greek demigod who is the son of Poseidon.
- Carter Kane - A magician and sometime host of the falcon god Horus and descendant of both Narmer and Ramses the Great. He is a member of the House of Life.
A sequel, "The Staff of Serapis", was released on May 20, 2014 starring Annabeth Chase and Sadie Kane. A third crossover, "The Crown of Ptolemy" was released starring Annabeth, Carter, Sadie and Percy.
- "Amazon - The Son of Sobek". Retrieved August 15, 2015.
- Riordan, Rick (2016). Demigods & Magicians: Percy and Annabeth Meet the Kanes. Los Angeles: Disney-Hyperion. pp. 3–44. ISBN 978-1-4847-3278-6.
- Rought, Karen (October 6, 2015). "Rick Riordan announces 'Trials of Apollo' series set in Percy Jackson's world". Hypable. Retrieved July 27, 2016.
- Riordan, Rick (2013). The Son of Sobek. Disney Hyperion. ASIN B00CJ05D6U.