Straffan railway station
Clownings, near Straffan, County Kildare|
|Original company||Great Southern and Western Railway|
|1 August 1848||Station opens|
|5 October 1853||Straffan Rail Disaster|
|9 June 1947||Station closes to goods|
|10 November 1947||Station closes to passengers|
|1976||Signal cabin closes|
Straffan was a station located 2½ miles (3.5 km) from Straffan in County Kildare, Ireland. It also served the village of Ardclough.
Straffan Station was located on the Great Southern & Western Railway's main Dublin to Cork line, and had opened two years after the line in August 1848. Five years later, the third worst rail accident in Irish history occurred a quarter of a mile south of Straffan, where when a goods train ran into the back of a stationary passenger train, causing eighteen deaths. A post office was built near the station in May 1872.
The station, which had up and down platforms, with small station building on the up side, was closed by CIÉ in November 1947, but it remained a signalling block post. The signal cabin at Straffan was closed however in 1976, and after which the redundant station buildings became derelict before finally been demolished in the mid 1980s.
|Preceding station||Historical railways||Following station|
|Hazelhatch|| Great Southern and Western Railway
Coordinates: 53°17′47″N 6°35′05″W / 53.296454°N 6.584590°W