St Columban's College, Caboolture
|St. Columban's College|
For God and Australia
|Coordinates||27°04′43″S 152°57′48″E / 27.0785°S 152.9634°ECoordinates: 27°04′43″S 152°57′48″E / 27.0785°S 152.9634°E|
|Type||Independent, Co-educational, Day school|
|Chairman||Mr. Martin Jonkers|
|Principal||Mrs. Anne Rebgetz|
|Chaplain||Ms. Elizabeth Palmer|
|Key people||Ms. Lauren Dunn - Campus Minister|
|Colour(s)||Blue & Gold|
|Slogan||"Spirit, Tradition, Community"|
1985 was the last year of the Brothers presence following the decision to hand the administration of the College to the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Brisbane. Three brothers stayed on teaching during this year. The first lay principal, Mr Peter Crombie, took up his appointment in 1985.
In 1988 and 1989 the intake for Year 8 slowly dropped. Great efforts were made to attract more students, but despite these efforts the drop in numbers became steady and continuous. In 1989 number had dropped to 425 students when only 15 years earlier, numbers were at 800. Subsequently, a decision was made some 10 years later to relocate the college to Caboolture and to become a co-educational college.
Founded in 1928 on an Albion hilltop site overlooking the city of Brisbane, St Columban’s College commenced as another practical outreach by the Congregation of the Christian Brothers, in providing readily accessible education for young boys. The college developed a working-class identity with strong patronage from the racing fraternity, reaching a maximum enrolment of some 850 boys from Years 5 to 12 during the 1980s. Always supported by an active parental group, the college thrived through the 1960s and 1970s, being associated with some well-known Brisbane events, including the Colana Carnival. Parents built by hand the college swimming pool and worked tirelessly to raise funds for construction of many buildings to add to the opportunities offered to its students.
Throughout its history the college gained a reputation for having a strong identity in sport, with its students being called upon to ‘have a go’. St Columban’s College was a founding member of The Associated Schools association, established in 1947. In 1985 the Congregation of the Christian Brothers formally handed the college over to the Archdiocese of Brisbane. Shortly after, the primary school was phased out with the college offering secondary education focused between Years 8 to 12.
The work of the second lay principal, Mr Michael Harkin, was well known for his efforts to stem the loss of enrolments that followed during these ensuing years. Despite his best attempts to maintain adequate student numbers, a decision was made in 1995 to relocate a financially unviable college campus to Caboolture. Preparation commenced for a new co-educational campus with an inventory created of how and what to move from a college in order to preserve its best qualities.
- Michael E Putney ( 20 June 1946 – 28 March 2014; Bishop of Townsville; 6th President of the National Council of Churches in Australia)
- Ronan Lee, former Member of Parliament and Queensland Parliamentary Secretary
- Rod McCall (Australian and Queensland Rugby Union captain)
- Anthony Sauer (Australian Rugby 7's captain, Queensland representative)
- Trevor Gillmeister (captain of Queensland State of Origin & representative of Australian Rugby League team)
- Robert Sibley (Australian Basketball representative)
- Luke Williamson (Adelaide, Canberra, & Manly NRL representative)
- Kevin Hodda (Australian and Queensland Rugby representative)
- Brian Ford (Youngest ever Australian rugby representative – 18 years 90 days – Vs New Zealand 1957)
- St Columban's College Staff. Accessed 2010-04-04.
- St Columban's College In Profile 2009. Accessed 2010-04-04.
- St Columban's College History. Accessed 2010-04-04.
- Tributes flow as Bishop Michael Putney’s Ecumenical Journey Ends, media release, National Council of Churches in Australia, 28 March 2014