De La Salle College, Malvern

De La Salle College

Latin: Deo Duce
With God As Leader
1318 High Street
9 Northbrook Avenue

Malvern, Victoria 3144
Coordinates 37°51′21″S 145°1′55″E / 37.85583°S 145.03194°E / -37.85583; 145.03194Coordinates: 37°51′21″S 145°1′55″E / 37.85583°S 145.03194°E / -37.85583; 145.03194
Type Independent, Single-sex
Denomination Roman Catholic (Lasallian)
Established 1912
Principal Peter Houlihan
Years 4–12
Enrolment 1,160
Colour(s) Blue and gold
School fees $6,914 per year (years 4–6)
$8,885 per year (years 7–12)

De La Salle College is a Roman Catholic Independent school for boys in the Melbourne suburb of Malvern. The College was founded in 1912 by the De La Salle Brothers, a religious order based on the teachings of Jean-Baptiste de la Salle, and is a member of the Associated Catholic Colleges. The College consists of two campuses (Tiverton and Kinnoull) both in Malvern.


1911 – Father Simon Hegarty CM, parish priest of Malvern, announced that a boys school was to be established, conducted by the Brothers of Christian Schools.

Father Simon Hegarty

1912 – On 4 February, Brother Dunstan Drumm, Brother Leopold Loughran and Brother Jerome Foley arrived in Melbourne from Waterford, Ireland. The following day, they commenced teaching 54 boys in the Parish Hall. On Easter Tuesday, Archbishop Thomas Carr blessed the new school in Stanhope Street West.

1926 – The first edition of the College Magazine Blue and Gold was published, and the first student to complete his leaving certificate finished.

1929 – The house Manresa on the corner of Stanhope and Dalny Streets was purchased and the Tower Building was erected, blessed and opened by Archbishop Daniel Mannix. The old Stanhope building was sold to Melbourne and Metropolitan Tramways Trust. The Old Collegians' Association was formed.

The Old Collegians Wing

1944 – Two-classroom buildings on the corner of Stanhope and Dalny Streets was constructed on the site of a tennis court.

1946 – The Old Collegians' Association was reformed after it lapsed during the Second World War.

1948 – The World War II shrine was erected on Stanhope Street.

1954 – On 21 March, Archbishop Mannix officially opened Kinnoull (named after Kinnoull Hill), the then preparatory school for the College.

1959 – Gardens to the east of the homestead Kinnoull were removed to create what is now known as Kinnoull Oval.

1960 – The new senior school, on High Street, now the Brother Oswald Murdoch Building, was erected. The Fathers' Association was formed.

1962 – The former Gymnasium and Hall, now the Performing Arts Centre, was erected.

1967Kinnoull homestead was demolished.

1972Manresa was demolished and the Brothers moved to a new residence on High Street. The Brother Jerome Foley Library and the now Brother Dunstan Drumm Administration building was opened on High Street. Father Les Troy, CM, was appointed College Chaplain.

1983 – The Lasallian Award was introduced by the Old Collegians' Association.

1984 – The Brother Peter Duffy Memorial Building was opened and the Kinnoull Campus became the Senior School for Years 11 and 12.

1987 – The Brother Stanislaus Carmody Centre for the Arts and Technology was opened.

1988 – The Brother James Taylor Gymnasium was opened.

1990 – The Brother Damian Harvey Building was opened.

1995 – The High Street campus was renamed, Tiverton, after the former Brothers' residence on Stanhope Street (which, in turn, was named after Tiverton, Devonshire).

2004 – The Old Collegians' building was opened on the Kinnoull campus. Year 10 classes move to Kinnoull for the first time in the College's history.

2007 – The Old Collegians' Association executive committee was reformed.

2009 – The St Miguel Theatre attached to the Brother Adrian Fitzgerald Building (colloquially known as the Chapel Building) was opened.

2014 - The college's first lay principal Mr Peter Houlihan began his term. Students raised over $100,000 for MIssion Action Day for the first time ever.


There are two campuses, Tiverton and Kinnoull, located about a three-minute walk from each other. Because of their proximity and for government funding reasons they are considered one campus.

Approximately 550 students in Years 10–12 occupy the area of land named Kinnoull Campus adjacent to Malvern Cricket Ground and Northbrook. The site was purchased in 1955, and was initially a junior campus until it became the senior campus in 1984. On average approximately 85% of students go on to university, 10% to TAFE and 5% to apprenticeships, traineeships, and other paths. VCE, VET and VCAL facilities are available at Kinnoull. Facilities include a chapel, lecture theatre, amphitheatre, library, oval, astro-turf court and caffeteria style canteen.

Tiverton Campus is located on High Street and is home to Years 4–9 students. Facilities include a Performing Arts Centre, a gymnasium, three basketball courts, a chapel, a library and dedicated arts and technology spaces.


As members of the Associated Catholic Colleges competition, elite interschool competition is offered to Years 7–12 students in:

ACC matches are timetabled into the school week. No Saturday morning. Students are also involved in state and national level competitions in athletics, snow sports and weightlifting.

The college is known for its experienced football squads, having won the Senior football competition 52 times since its entry in 1948.

Mission Action Day

On the final day of Term 1, the College participates in Mission Action Day (formerly Charity Action Day), which consists of a 13 km walk from Kooyong Stadium to T.H. King Oval, Glen Iris and back.

The walk is usually completed in two hours, with students sponsored for completing the walk, thereby raising much needed funds for schools in third-world countries, including the Philippines and Indonesia. Recently, this event has raised over $100,000 AUD per annum.


The De La Salle 'Coolies' are a group of recently graduated Year 12 students who travel to India to work on construction projects that help the Indian Lasallian community. Money the students raise throughout the year goes towards the completion of the project.

The De La Salle Coolies work as labourers for approximately four weeks and while they're doing so, live with the De La Salle Brothers and fully immerse themselves in the community they are helping.

Completed projects include the construction of housing or schools for poverty stricken Dalit communities. These communities are situated in the southern Indian states of Tamil Nadu and Andhra Pradesh, where the De La Salle Brothers have developed several projects.

Coolies is an alternate way for students to celebrate their Year 12 graduation whilst contributing to underprivileged communities. All students must commit to Coolies at the start of their Year 12-year and raise a minimum of $500 each for the building projects. Students must also cover their own transport and living costs.

In December 2007, the program featured in the Herald Sun newspaper, with Br Denis Loft featuring in numerous articles in other local newspapers, including the Melbourne Weekly Magazine.

Patron saint

St. Jean-Baptiste De La Salle was born in Reims, France on 30 April 1651. He was 29 years old when he realised that the educational system of his day was inadequate to meet the needs of poor children. To provide a Christian and human education that would be practical and effective, La Salle founded a religious community of men, the Institute of the Brothers of the Christian Schools (Fratres Scholarum Christianarum), dedicated to the instruction of youth.

After many hardships, Jean-Baptiste De La Salle died on Good Friday, 7 April 1719. He was canonised a saint of the Catholic Church in 1900 and declared "Universal Patron of All Teachers" by Pope Pius XII in 1950. The feast of St. Jean-Baptiste De La Salle is celebrated on 15 May by the worldwide La Sallian movement of approximately 1 million students in over 85 countries.


There are four Houses:

Houses help create a sense of belonging and identity for students within the College.

Classroom Saints

Each classroom at the Tiverton campus in De La Salle has a patron saint. There are seven in total.


Peter Romancon (Brother Benildus) was born in Thuret, France, on 14 June 1805. He worked quietly and effectively as a teacher and principal, educating boys – many of whom had never been to school before – in Sauges, an isolated village on a barren plateau in souther France. It was said of him that he was "always cheerful" in the daily routine of school. He died at Saugues on 13 August 1862, and was declared Blessed on 4 April 1942. He was canonised on 29 October 1967, and his feast day is 13 August.


Brother Dunstan Drumm was born in Ireland on 11 July 1880 in Ardee, County Louth, and arrived in Australia in 1912. He became the first Headmaster of De La Salle College and remained in that position from 1912–1917. He then taught in New South Wales, eventually returning to Ireland in 1922 where he taught in schools there and in England. He died on 24 September 1952 and is buried in Kintbury, UK.


Father Simon Hegarty CM arrived at St Joseph's Parish Church in Malvern in 1895 and was instrumental in negotiating the appointment of the De La Salle Brothers to Malvern to open a school for boys. His term as Parish Priest ended in 1914 when he volunteered as War Chaplain. He later returned to his homeland, Ireland, where he died on Christmas Eve 1935.


Brother Jerome Foley was born in Ireland on 9 August 1886 and is one of the original three brothers who commenced De La Salle College, Malvern, on the 5th of February 1912. He is the longest-serving Headmaster of the College from 1929–1946, which was followed by his appointment as Provincial of the De La Salle Brothers from 1929–1958. Brother Jerome died on 9 September 1975, and is buried in the Brothers Cemetery at Oakhill College in Sydney. Behind a somewhat gruff exterior, Brother Jerome concealed a sensitive heart. He had an uncanny knack for bringing badgering or cajoling them. He nurtured a whole group of young men remarkable for their academic achievements and for their loyalty to the church.


Nicholas Roland, born in Rheims on 2 December 1642, founded the congregation of the Holy Infant (Child) Jesus. As the spiritual Father of Saint John Baptist De La Salle, he approached him as his executor and begged him to secure the approval of the congregation of the Sister of the Infant Jesus, which he founded for the instruction and salvation of poor and abandoned children. He died on 27 April 1678. His feast day is 27 April.


Nicholas Leclercq (Brother Solomon) was born at Boulogne-sur-Mer, France, on 15 November 1745. During the French Revolution he refused to take the oath to the Constitution and died a martyr on 2 September 1792 in the prison of Carmes (Carmelites), Paris. He was proclaimed as Blessed with his companion martyrs on 17 October 1926. His feast day is 2 September.


St Vincent de Paul was born in the village of Pouy in Gascony, France, in about 1580, and was ordained as a priest in 1600. In 1617, he began to preach missions, and in 1625 he founded Congregation of the Mission – or Vincentians – who now administer to St Joseph's Parish in Malvern. St Vincent is the Patron saint of the St Vincent de Paul Society (Vinnies), founded in Paris in 1833 by the Blessed Frederic Ozanam. His feast day is 27 September.

Notable alumni

Arts, academia, entertainment and media








VFL/AFL Players:

Stawell Gift Winners:

Sport – Other:

External links

This article is issued from Wikipedia - version of the 12/4/2016. The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share Alike but additional terms may apply for the media files.