Sligo Mac Diarmada railway station
Republic of Ireland
|Coordinates||54°16′19″N 8°28′52″W / 54.272°N 8.481°WCoordinates: 54°16′19″N 8°28′52″W / 54.272°N 8.481°W|
|Owned by||Iarnród Éireann|
|Operated by||Iarnród Éireann|
|1966||Renamed as Mac Diarmada Station|
Sligo Mac Diarmada station, also known as Sligo railway station, is a mainline railway station which serves the town of Sligo in County Sligo, Ireland. It is a terminal station, with two platforms. There is a passing loop at the approach to the station. It is named after Irish patriot Seán Mac Diarmada. Iarnród Éireann, Ireland's national railway operator, runs inter-city rail services between Sligo and Dublin on the Dublin-Sligo railway line.
The station opened on 3 December 1862, when Sligo acquired rail links to Dublin, then Enniskillen and the north in 1881 and Limerick and the south in 1895. The line to Enniskillen closed in 1957 and passenger services to Limerick closed in 1963. For many years CIÉ kept the latter line open for freight traffic, and although it is now disused, it forms part of the Western Rail Corridor redevelopment project.
|Preceding station||Iarnród Éireann||Following station|