Collooney railway station
Collooney Station in 1993
Republic of Ireland
|Coordinates||54°11′12″N 8°29′41″W / 54.186617°N 8.494781°WCoordinates: 54°11′12″N 8°29′41″W / 54.186617°N 8.494781°W|
|Owned by||Iarnród Éireann|
|Operated by||Iarnród Éireann|
Collooney once had three railway stations. The current station was opened by the Midland Great Western Railway (MGWR) on 3 December 1862 as part of the extension of its line from Longford to Sligo. On 1 September 1881 the Sligo, Leitrim and Northern Counties Railway (SL&NCR) opened its station to the east, before building a connection to the MGWR at Carrignagat Junction to the north and thus completing its line from Enniskillen to Sligo. Finally, on 1 October 1895, the Great Southern and Western Railway (GS&WR) opened its station to the west, as part of the extension of its line from Claremorris to Sligo.
On 1 October 1957, the SL&NCR's Collooney station closed along with the company. The line to Enniskillen was lifted shortly afterwards. The GS&WR station closed on 17 June 1963 when CIÉ withdrew passenger services between Claremorris and Sligo; this line remained open for goods traffic until 1975, after which it fell into dereliction (though it is proposed to re-open in the future as part of the Western Railway Corridor).
Today, the MGWR station is served by trains on the Dublin Connolly–Sligo Intercity service. It is unstaffed.
|Preceding station||Iarnród Éireann||Following station|
- "Irish railways" (PDF). Railscot. Retrieved 2007-09-07.