Princess Pauline of Württemberg (1810–1856)
|Princess Pauline of Württemberg|
The Duchess of Nassau, c. 1830
|Duchess of Nassau|
|Reign||23 April 1829 – 30 August 1839|
|Predecessor||Louise of Saxe-Hildburghausen|
|Successor||Elizabeth Mikhailovna of Russia|
25 February 1810|
Stuttgart, Kingdom of Württemberg, Confederation of the Rhine
7 July 1856 46) (aged|
Wiesbaden, Duchy of Nassau, German Confederation
|Burial||Alter Friedhof, Wiesbaden|
|Spouse||William, Duke of Nassau|
Helena, Princess of Waldeck and Pyrmont|
Prince Nikolaus Wilhelm
Sophia, Queen of Sweden and Norway
House of Württemberg|
House of Nassau-Weilburg
|Father||Prince Paul of Württemberg|
|Mother||Princess Charlotte of Saxe-Hildburghausen|
Princess Pauline Friederike Marie of Württemberg, full German name: Pauline Friederike Marie, Prinzessin von Württemberg (25 February 1810, Stuttgart, Kingdom of Württemberg – 7 July 1856, Wiesbaden, Duchy of Nassau) was a member of the House of Württemberg and a Princess of Württemberg by birth. Through her marriage to William, Duke of Nassau, Louise was also a member of the House of Nassau-Weilburg and Duchess consort of Nassau. Pauline is an ancestress of the present Belgian, Danish, Dutch, Luxembourg, Norwegian, and Swedish Royal families.
Marriage and issue
Pauline married William, Duke of Nassau, eldest son of Frederick William, Prince of Nassau-Weilburg and his wife Burgravine Louise Isabelle of Kirchberg, on 23 April 1829 in Stuttgart. Pauline and William had four children:
- An unnamed daughter (Biebrich, 27 April 1830 – Biebrich, 28 April 1830).
- Helene Wilhelmine Henriette Pauline Marianne of Nassau (Wiesbaden, 12 April 1831 – Bad Pyrmont, 27 October 1888), married in Wiesbaden on 26 September 1853 George Victor, Prince of Waldeck and Pyrmont and had issue
- Nikolaus Wilhelm of Nassau (20 September 1832 – 17 September 1905). Married, morganatically, Natalia Alexandrovna Pushkina, Countess of Merenberg. She was a daughter of Alexander Pushkin and his wife Natalya Goncharova. They had issue, now extinct in male line.
- Sophia Wilhelmine Marianne Henriette of Nassau (9 July 1836 – 30 December 1913). Married King Oscar II of Sweden. The present Belgian, Danish, Norwegian and Swedish royal families descend from this marriage.
Titles, styles, honours and arms
Titles and styles
- 25 February 1810 – 23 April 1829: Her Royal Highness Princess Pauline of Württemberg
- 23 April 1829 – 30 August 1839: Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Nassau
- 30 August 1839 – 7 July 1856: Her Royal Highness The Dowager Duchess of Nassau
- Find a Grave
- Darryl Lundy (24 Jul 2005). "Pauline Friederike Marie Prinzessin von Württemberg". thePeerage.com. Retrieved 2009-08-02. External link in
- Paul Theroff. "WÜRTTEMBERG". Paul Theroff's Royal Genealogy Site. Retrieved 2009-08-02.
Princess Pauline of Württemberg (1810–1856)Born: 25 February 1810 Died: 7 July 1856
Title last held byLouise of Saxe-Hildburghausen
|Duchess consort of Nassau
23 April 1829 – 30 August 1839
Title next held byElizabeth Mikhailovna of Russia