Moscow Technological University (MIREA)
|Московский технологический университет (МИРЭА)|
Best among equal - equal among the best!Optimus inter pares — par inter optimos!
|Students||900 (foreign students)|
It was founded in 1947 as All-Union Correspondence Power Institute, and in 1967 the government resolution of June 30, 1967 No. 588 transformed it into Moscow Institute of Radio Engineering, Electronics and Automation which started day-time students training.
The University is the member of the Association of Top Industrial Managers for Europe (T.I.M.E.), the Association of Sino-Russian Technical Universities, the International Association of Universities, the European Association of Research Managers and Administrators and some others. The University academic programs are certified according to the international standards.
The University cooperates with more than 50 hi-tech production enterprises on the basis of which the departments of the University function. MIREA houses modern scientific laboratories and educational centers, student's design offices as well as academies of leading global manufacturers (Cisco, Microsoft, EMC, VMware, Huawei, etc.)
History of MIREA
On September 1, 1947 according to the Order of the Council of Ministers of the USSR of May 28, 1947 the All-Union Correspondence Power Institute of training and advanced study of engineers in Moscow started its work having branches in Leningrad, Kiev, Baku, Tashkent, Sverdlovsk and Novosibirsk.
VZEI was the leading research institute in the system of correspondence education in power and radio engineering specialties. It trained engineers for the industry, including new power industries. Its branches and training and counseling centers became the background for the technical institutes in Omsk, Kemerovo, Kiev, Kirov and some other cities.
Carrying on the traditions of the Russian engineering thought, VZEI altered its functions according to the requirements of science and technology. In the course of its activity there were formed many directions of educational process, the structure as well as the academic staff of the modern technical higher educational institution. So, in the early sixties due to the need of expansion of specialists training in radio electronics and electronic equipment VZEI developed the transition from mainly power direction to high technologies.
During the transformation into an educational institution of a new type the students of Heat Power, Hydropower, Electrical Power and Electromechanical Faculties were transferred to Moscow Power Institute.
Along with Radio Engineering Faculty existing since the beginning of VZEI activity the following faculties began to function:
- Automatic Equipment, Telemechanics and Measuring Equipment;
- Computer Equipment;
- Design and Production of Radio-Electronic Equipment.
In addition to extramural studies the part-time (evening) Radio Engineering Faculty was established.
The large-scale modernization of VZEI began with the appointment of N.N. Evtikhiyev, who was an outstanding organizer of higher education and science, academician of Academy of Sciences of the USSR, Hero of Socialist Labour, bearer of six awards of the USSR and Russia in the future, to the position of the Rector of the Institute on December 19, 1964.
The next years saw the VZEI transformation into a higher educational institution for training of engineering staff for the enterprises of the Moscow region in rapidly developing Radio Engineering, Electronics, Robotics, Computer Equipment.
So, in the course of the VZEI activity there began to be defined the modern profile of the higher education institution, its structure, academic staff, traditions of training of highly qualified specialists for the development of new technologies in Radio Engineering, Electronics, and Computer Equipment. In 20 years of its existence the VZEI trained 7 thousand engineers.
VZEI transformation into MIREA (1967)
The All-Union Correspondence Power Institute (VZEI) was transformed by the Government Resolution of June 30, 1967 into Moscow Institute of Radio Engineering, Electronics and Automation (MIREA) for the training of highly qualified engineering personnel for the knowledge-intensive branches of the electronic and radio industry, mechanical engineering and instrument engineering, automation equipment and control systems.
Nikolay Nikolaevich Evtikhiyev was appointed the Rector of MIREA.
At the beginning of its activity MIREA did not possess any buildings. Initially the Institute was located in one of blocks of Moscow Power Institute in 14 Krasnokazarmennaya Street. In 1968 building 5 in Nalichnaya Street, with a total area of 2,130 square metres (22,900 sq ft) was converted into the training Block. Gradually educational facilities were expanded. In 1970 building 20 in 5th Street of Sokolinaya Gora was constructed.
At the same time there was built a modern educational and scientific complex with the total area of 100,000 square metres (1,100,000 sq ft) in the Southwest of Moscow, on Borovskoye highway near the village of Nikulino. SU-210 of Spetsstroy was engaged in the construction.
Block B was the first to have been put into operation in 1976. Here the administration and deans’ offices were placed (nowadays RTS Institute). All the faculties started their work in Block A of the building in 78 Vernadsky Avenue in 1979/1980 academic year. The construction of the building of MIREA came to the end in the 1980s. Six blocks housed the facilities of the Institute.
The complex of buildings included a computer center and a scientific and technical library as well.
Obtaining status of technical university (1993)
According to the Resolution of the Council of Ministers of the Government of the Russian Federation of June 16, 1993 and the Order of the State Committee of the Russian Federation on Higher Education of November 22, 1993, Moscow Institute of Radio Engineering, Electronics and Automation received the status of technical university that demonstrates the all-Russian and international recognition of the high level of training for the knowledge-intensive industries taking into account the cardinal changes in the country.
During the period of 1967–1992, 44,897 specialists graduated from the Institute, including:
- full-time courses – 9,195 people,
- intramural and extramural courses – 19,248 people,
- correspondence courses – 16,454 people.
The Honors Degrees were gained by 1,048 people.
In 1994 MIREA passed the state licensing and accreditation as the University.
In 1998 the conference of pedagogical, scientific and other categories of workers and students of MIREA elected Professor Alexander Sergeyevich Sigov, the Dean of Electronics Faculty, Doctor of Physical and Mathematical Sciences, to be the Rector of MIREA. In 2003 A.S. Sigov was re-elected the Rector of the University for a five-year term. The next five-year term re-election took place in 2008.
In June, 2013 Professor Stanislav Alekseevich Kudzh, Doctor of Engineering, became the new Rector of the Institute.
Merger with ROSNIIITIAP and VNIITE (2013)
On June 14, 2013 by the Order of the Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation No. 461 the Russian Research Institute of Information Technologies and Computer-Aided Engineering Systems (Federal State Budget Institution ROSNIIITIAP) and the All-Russian Research Institute of Industrial Art (VNIITE) joined the University as its structural divisions.
Merger with MGUPI and IPAIKE (2014)
By the order of the Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation of June 9, 2014  MGTU MIREA was joined by Moscow State University of Instrument Engineering and Computer Science (MGUPI) and the Institute of Professional Administration and Complex Energy Efficiency (IPAIKE) with all their branches. The joint University received the name "Moscow State University of Information Technologies of Radio Engineering and Electronics", but kept the abbreviation from the predecessors—MIREA, MGUPI.
Merger with MITHT (2015)
On April 30, 2015 TASS reported that approximately on May 12 the Ministry of Education of the Russian Federation would issue the Order uniting "Moscow State University of Information Technologies, Radio Engineering and Electronics" (MIREA, MGUPI) and "Moscow State University of Fine Chemical Technologies of M. V. Lomonosov" (MITHT) into "Lomonosov Russian Technological University" (RTU of Lomonosov).
On May 27, 2015 the Ministry of Education of the Russian Federation published the Order on merger of Moscow State University of Fine Chemical Technologies of M. V. Lomonosov (MITHT) and Moscow State University of Information Technologies, Radio Engineering and Electronics (MIREA, MGUPI), and also about the renaming of the latter into "Moscow Technological University".
On June 17, 2015 the information on the renaming into Moscow Technological University appeared on the website of the University .
History of MGUPI before merging with MIREA
- From August 29, 1936 to September 27, 1950 – Moscow Correspondence Institute of Metal-Working Industry (MZIMP)
- From September 27, 1950 to April 21, 1988 – All-Union Correspondence Machine-Building Institute (VZMI)
- From April 21, 1988 to January 7, 1994 – Moscow Institute of Instrument Engineering
- From January 7, 1994 to December 29, 2005 – Moscow State Academy of Instrument Engineering and Computer Science (MGAPI)
- From December 29, 2005 to June 9, 2014 – Moscow State University of Instrument Engineering and Computer Science (MGUPI)
- By the Order of the Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation of June 9, 2014 there began the process of association with MIREA.
History of MITHT before merging with MIREA
- From 1900 to 1918 – Moscow High Female Courses (MVZK)
- From 1918 to 1930 – 2nd MGU
- From 1930 to 1940 – Moscow Institute of Fine Chemical Technology (MITHT)
- Since 1940 – name of M. V. Lomonosov was assigned to the Institute
- In 1992 – Institute received the status of Academy
- In 2011 – by the Order of the Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation MITHT received the status of University.
- In 2015 – MITHT of M. V. Lomonosov became a part of Moscow Technological University.
Campus in 78 Vernadsky Avenue
View of the main campus of the University towards Yugo-Zapadnaya metro station
The main campus of the Higher Education Institution is located in 78 Vernadsky Avenue. (metro station Yugo-Zapadnaya).
The building was constructed in the 1980s, on the project of the architect Valentin Opryshko, and consists of six blocks, a sport center, a library and a conference room.
- Block "A". The main training Block with the central entrance equipped with turnstiles houses locker rooms, lecture halls, Information Technologies Institute and Military Department;
- Block "B" houses the Departments of Radio Engineering and Telecommunication Systems Institute.
- Block "V" houses the Departments of Physics and Technology Institute.
- Block "G" houses the Departments of Robotics Institute and Information Technologies Institute.
- Block "D" houses the administration of the University, Accounts Department and several Departments of the Institutes.
- Block "E" houses Complex Security and Special Instrument Engineering Institute.
All University Blocks are connected by the corridors so it is possible to pass from one Block into another, as well as to the sports center, library and conference room, without leaving the building.
Campus in 86 Vernadsky Avenue
The campus is located in 86 Vernadsky Avenue.
Campus in Stromynka Street
The campus is located in 20 Stromynka Street.
Campus in Sokolinaya Gora Street
The campus is located in 5th Street of Sokolinaya Gora, 22.
Campus in Mira Avenue
The campus is located in 119 Mira Avenue, Building 312.
Campus in Shchipkovsky Lane
The campus is located in 1st Shchipkovsky Lane, 23.
Campus in Usachyov Street
The campus is located in 64 Usachyov Street, Building 1.
Number of students
The institute trains
Doctoral and Postgraduate Study Departments train doctors and candidates of science in 20 specialties.
There are five Dissertation Councils for defense of theses for Degree of Doctor of Science or Technology.
The academic staff of the Higher Education Institution consists of
Training and scientific structural divisions
- Information Technologies Institute Robotics Institute
- Radio Engineering and Telecommunication Systems Institute Innovative Technologies and Public Administration Institute Physics and Technology Institute
- Advanced Education Institute
- Institute of Pre-University Training
- Fine Chemical Technologies Institute
- Complex Security and Special Instrument Engineering Institute
- Management and Strategic Development of Organizations Institute
- Faculty of General Education
- Part Time, Correspondence and Distance Training Institute
- Instrument Engineering and Information Technologies College
- International Training Institute
- Military Department
- Physical Training Department
- Postgraduate Study Department
- Youth Policy and International Relations Institute
- Distance Learning Center
- Training Technical Center
- Branch in Sergiyev Posad, Moscow Region
- Branch in Serpukhov, Moscow Region
- Branch in Stavropol
- Branch in Fryazino, Moscow Region
Scientific structural divisions
- Industrial Art Research Institute
- Scientific Researches Department
- Center of Integrated Circuits, Nanoelectronics Devices and Microsystems Design
- Management of Scientific Researches
- Information Technologies and Automated Design Institute
- Training and Scientific Institute of Informatics and Control Systems
- Student's Design and Information Bureau
- Crisis and Emergency Situations Monitoring Center "Lidar"
- Technological Business Center
- Independent Identification Expertise Center
- Complex Energy Efficiency and Energy Saving Center
- MIREA Laboratory of Lighting Engineering "LEDLAB"
- Research and Production Center of Laser and Optical Technologies
- Modern Training Technologies and Projects Institute
- Professional Administration and Complex Energy Efficiency Institute
- Scientific and Educational Center "Scientific and Special Instrument Engineering"
- Center of Technological Support of Education "Intelligent Robots"
- Scientific and Educational Center "Special Plasma and Vacuum Technologies"
- Molecular Acoustics Problem laboratory
- Scientific and Technological Center "Nauka"
- MIREA Engineering Center
- Scientific and Engineering Center of System Analysis and Virtual Prototyping
- Radio-Electronic Technologies Research Testing Center