Drapers, formerly Drapers Record, is a business-to-business magazine covering the fashion retail sector. It was founded on 6 August 1887 as a magazine for the women's clothing retail trade. Formerly owned by publisher Thomson Corporation, it is now owned by Ascential.
Former editors include Freddie Offley, who joined Drapers Record in 1930 as a trainee clerk, and went on to become director and managing editor before retiring in 1980. From 2000 to 2006, it was run by editorial director Eric Musgrave. In 2007, it is headed by managing director Malcolm Gough.
In 1961, Drapers Record was bought along with the Illustrated London News, Men's Wear and the Tatler by the Thomson Corporation and formed into the new Thomson Publications business. Thomson sold Drapers Record in 1985, along with the Illustrated London News, Family Circle, Living, and Construction News. From 1988 to 1992, it was known as DR The Fashion Business, but from 1992 it returned to its original name of Drapers Record.
In 2002, Drapers Record merged with sister title, Men's Wear, which had been launched in 1902, to become simply Drapers. In November 2006, Emap started making a version of the magazine available digitally every week. The website was relaunched in 2009.
Drapers Fashion Summit
The Drapers Fashion Summit is an event held by Drapers. It is targeted at fashion retailers and businesses with an interest in retail and fashion. Past speakers include Caprice Bourret, Carl McPhail, Caroline Rush, Dolly Jones, David Hughes and Courtney Blackman.
- Andy Rubin, CEO, Pentland Group
- Peter Williams, Non-Executive Director, ASOS
- Eric Musgrave, Industry Expert and former Director General of the UKFT
- Mary Homer, Managing Director, Topshop
- Peter Ruis, Buying and Brand Director, John Lewis
- Michael Sharp, Deputy CEO, Debenhams
- Alan Hawkins, CEO, British Independent Retailers Association
- Lauretta Roberts, Creative Director, WGSN Boutique
- Mike Shearwood, CEO, Clarks
- Bernd Hake, Managing Director UK, Hugo Boss
- Mark Bage, Owner, Coggles
- Harold Tillman, CBE Chairman of the British Fashion Council and CEO, Jaeger
- Ruth Addicott, "Drapers Record relaunch to incorporate Menswear", Press Gazette, 16 August 2002. Retrieved 7 August 2009.
- "Fashion industry news & fashion trends - Drapers". Retrieved 23 April 2016.
- Paul McNally, "Emap completes web overhaul with Broadcast relaunch", Press Gazette, 28 May 2009. Retrieved 7 August 2009.
- Sweney, Mark (5 October 2015). "Emap brand to be scrapped as all its titles move digital-only". The Guardian. Retrieved 6 October 2015.