Health Service Journal
|Edited by||Alastair McLellan|
Health Service Journal (HSJ) is a weekly news print title and website on the British National Health Service, healthcare management and health policy.
The Poor Law Officers' Journal was established in 1892. In 1930 it changed its name after the passing of the Local Government Act 1929 to the Public Assistance Journal and Health and Hospital Review, then in 1948 it became the Hospital and Social Service Journal. In 1963 it became the Hospital and Social Service Review, in 1973 the Health and Social Service Journal and the Health Service Journal in 1986.
Commercially published by Ascential, HSJ shares a news team with Nursing Times, and the Local Government Chronicle and has an average circulation of almost 18,000 copies, most of which is by subscription. It is aimed at "healthcare leaders" and is widely read among managers in the NHS in England. Its coverage of Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland is now rudimentary, and there is very little coverage of commercial healthcare or social care.
At the 2013 Professional Publishers' Association awards editor Alastair McLellan was named editor of the year (business media). HSJ followed that success in 2014 by being named PPA business magazine of the year.
HSJ.co.uk is the magazine's subscription-only website. The website expands on the printed content with extra news, analysis, opinion and debate. Subscribers can add to the debate by contributing comments to news stories. The magazine recently launched its own phone app. Opinion and resource centre articles are free to view but news articles are generally behind a paywall. There is also a dedicated jobs site for positions across the health service including executive level, governance, information technology, finance, education and commissioning roles.
HSJ runs conferences that cover issues in healthcare management, delivering practical guidance and topical discussion.
The magazine produces an annual list of the 100 "people with the greatest influence on health policy and the NHS" and frequent supplements with lists of people said to be leaders, or people who might become leaders, of various kinds.
- "Reform of the National Health Service Chronology". Socialist Health Association. Retrieved 15 December 2013.
- "ABC Business Magazines Standard certificate of circulation for the 50 issues between 1 July 2007 and 30 June 2008" (pdf). ABC Business Magazines. 2008-08-21. Retrieved 2008-09-04.
- "PPA Awards 2013: Wired and Haymarket Network among the winners". Media Week. Retrieved 22 August 2014.
- "PPA Awards winners 2014". PPA. Retrieved 22 August 2014.
- "HSJ100 2013 The annual list of the most influential people in health". Health Service Journal. 11 December 2013. Retrieved 14 December 2013.