He distinguished himself in both foreign and Danish military service and established himself as the Danish Count Danneskiold-Samsøe, which descended from his second marriage.
In Copenhagen on 27 November 1696 Christian married firstly his kinswoman Countess Charlotte Amalie af Danneskiold-Samsøe (15 November 1682 - 7 December 1699), a daughter of Ulrik Frederik Gyldenløve. They had two daughters:
- Christiane Charlotte (Copenhaguen, 7 July 1698 - Akershus, 5 October 1699).
- Fredericka Louise (Akershus, 2 October 1699 - Sonderborg, 2 December 1744), married on 21 July 1720 to her kinsman Christian August, Duke of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Augustenburg.
In Copenhagen on 25 May 1701 Christian married secondly Dorothea Krag (27 September 1675 - Gisselfeld, 10 October 1754). They had two sons:
- Christian, Lensgreve af Danneskiöld-Samsöe (Verona, 1 August 1702 - Copenhaguen, 17 February 1728).
- Frederick, Count of Danneskiöld-Samsöe (Assendrup, 1 November 1703 - Aarhus, 18 July 1770).
After his death, his widow who took over his post of royal General Postmaster.
|Ancestors of Christian Gyldenløve|
- Danneskiold at Den Store Dansk Encyklopædi