Louis V, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt
|Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt|
Louis V of Hesse-Darmstadt
24 September 1577|
27 July 1626 (aged 48)|
|Spouse||Magdalena von Brandenburg|
George II, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt
|Father||George I, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt|
|Mother||Magdalene of Lippe|
In 1604 he inherited a part of Hessen-Marburg after the death of Louis IV of Hesse-Marburg who was childless. The other half went to Maurice of Hesse-Kassel (or Hesse-Cassel), but since Maurice was a Calvinist, Ludwig claimed a right on the whole of Hesse-Marburg. Lutheran professors of the University of Marburg who refused to convert to Calvinism founded in 1607 the University of Gießen which was named Ludoviciana.
This led to a conflict during the Thirty Years' War, between Louis V, who stood on the side of the Emperor, and Maurice, who was on the side of the Protestants. Hesse-Darmstadt suffered severely from the ravages from the Swedes during the conflict.
The Landgrave died in 1626 and he was succeeded by George II, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt.
In 1722, Johann Georg Liebknecht, an astronomer at the University of Gießen, named a star, which he thought was a planet, Sidus Ludoviciana after Ludwig V.
He married Magdalena von Brandenburg and had issue:
- Elisabeth Magdalene, Duchess of Württemberg-Montbéliard; 23 April 1600 (Darmstadt) – 9 June 1624 (Montbéliard), married Louis Frederick, Duke of Württemberg-Montbéliard.
- Anne Eleonore of Hesse-Darmstadt; 30 July 1601 – 6 May 1659.
- Sofie Agnes of Hesse-Darmstadt; 12 January 1604 (Darmstadt) – 8 September 1664 (Hilpoltstein).
- George II, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt; 17 March 1605 – 11 June 1661.
- Juliane of Hesse-Darmstadt; 14 April 1606 (Darmstadt) – 15 January 1659 (Hanover).
- Amalie of Hesse-Darmstadt; 20 June 1607 – 11 September 1627.
- John of Hesse-Braubach; 17 June 1609 (Darmstadt), – 1 April 1651 (Ems).
- Henry of Hesse-Darmstadt; 1 April 1612 (Darmstadt) – 21 October 1629.
- Hedwig of Hesse-Darmstadt; 22 June 1613 Darmstadt – 2 March 1614.
- Louis of Hesse-Darmstadt; 12 September 1614 (Darmstadt) – 16 September 1614.
- Frederick of Hesse-Darmstadt; 28 February 1616 (Darmstadt) – 19 February 1682.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Louis V, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt.|
Louis V, Landgrave of Hesse-DarmstadtBorn: 24 September 1577 Died: 27 July 1626
|Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt
| Succeeded by|