Coordinates: 60°13′36″N 17°42′17″E / 60.22667°N 17.70472°E / 60.22667; 17.70472Coordinates: 60°13′36″N 17°42′17″E / 60.22667°N 17.70472°E / 60.22667; 17.70472
Country Sweden
Province Uppland
County Uppsala County
Municipality Tierp Municipality
  Total 1.58 km2 (0.61 sq mi)
Population (31 December 2010)[1]
  Total 1,984
  Density 1,256/km2 (3,250/sq mi)
Time zone CET (UTC+1)
  Summer (DST) CEST (UTC+2)

Örbyhus is a locality situated in Tierp Municipality, Uppsala County, Sweden with 1,984 inhabitants in 2010.[1]

Örbyhus Castle, located 3 km (2 mi) from the station, is known for being the place where the former king Eric XIV of Sweden died on 26 February 1577 from arsenic poisoning.



Libbarbo was a farm on the south side of the Örbyhus likely built in the 13th century. This was probably one of the only buildings in the area until the railway station building was built. Libbarbo had its heyday in the 1820s when it was a tightly around the rural estate of significance. Libbarbo formed their own small community with many buildings and housed both maids, farmhands and several craftsmen. At Libbarbo was also a soldier beside Nosekomen.


The structure of society Örbyhus began in 1874 with the railway's emergence. Already in 1855 was appointed a railway committee to examine the route of the railway traction. This then decided that the North Main Line would be deducted from the Stockholm Uppsala to Gävle. There were also plans to take the railway from Uppsala by Dannemora and Tobo to Gävle, thus linking the Dannemora mine with various iron works. The reason for that a station was built just in Örbyhus is very much about Baltzar von Platen's power. He was at the time Count on Örbyhus goods. He was also minister and director of Maritime Affairs. The reason that the station does not is closer to the castle is that the railways had had to cross the Vendel Sea which was impossible with the technology of the future.

Industrial Society

During the early 20th century was built Örbyhus to a strong industrial town with several factories. The first mill was a steam sawmill, which closely followed by bed factory iron bed. 1908 was built the so-called threshing as manufactured threshing machines, fertilizer spreaders and harrows. Since erected Brothers Larson Ski Factory, which apart skis and poles also made toboggans and kick sleds. During the summer months made the addition ice boxes and garden furniture. 1911 AB Bed Factory to Örbyhus. The main product at the plant was sick beds. 1935 was AB Hjalmar Söderberg's sewing factory in Örbyhus. Many girls, particularly from northern Sweden found their way to Örbyhus to become seamstresses in these factories.


Wikimedia Commons has media related to Örbyhus.
  1. 1 2 3 "Tätorternas landareal, folkmängd och invånare per km2 2005 och 2010" (in Swedish). Statistics Sweden. 14 December 2011. Archived from the original on 10 January 2012. Retrieved 10 January 2012.
This article is issued from Wikipedia - version of the 8/6/2016. The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share Alike but additional terms may apply for the media files.