|Cathedral Church of Our Lady of Sorrows, (St. Mary's)|
Shown within Wrexham
|53°02′51″N 2°59′55″W / 53.0474°N 2.9986°WCoordinates: 53°02′51″N 2°59′55″W / 53.0474°N 2.9986°W|
|Architect(s)||E. W. Pugin|
|Diocese||Wrexham (since 1987)|
The Cathedral Church of Our Lady of Sorrows also known as Wrexham Cathedral is a Roman Catholic cathedral in Wrexham, North Wales. It is the seat of the Bishop of Wrexham, and mother church of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Wrexham.
The cathedral was originally built as a parish church in 1857. Its architect, E. W. Pugin, adopted a 14th-century Decorated Gothic style. The church replaced an earlier chapel which by the 1850s was deemed insufficient for the growing congregation. Further additions to satisfy a still growing congregation were made in the mid 20th century, in the form of the cloister and side chapel.
The cathedral today
Wrexham Cathedral is now a Grade ll listed building. Currently there is an ongoing appeal to raise funds for repair, restoration and modernisation work on the cathedral buildings and fixtures. These include refurbishment of the cathedral hall, repairs to windows and stained glass, and improvements to the cathedral organ.