Street through Westervoort
Location in Gelderland
|Coordinates: 51°58′N 5°58′E / 51.967°N 5.967°ECoordinates: 51°58′N 5°58′E / 51.967°N 5.967°E|
|• Body||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Arend van Hout (VVD)|
|• Total||7.84 km2 (3.03 sq mi)|
|• Land||7.05 km2 (2.72 sq mi)|
|• Water||0.79 km2 (0.31 sq mi)|
|Elevation||11 m (36 ft)|
|Population (May 2014)|
|• Density||2,141/km2 (5,550/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
Westervoort ( pronunciation ) is a municipality and a town in the eastern Netherlands. The town has two rivers inside its borders, the Rhine and the IJssel. It is a commuter town closely linked to Arnhem, the capital of Gelderland, which is situated on the west bank of the IJssel river, the east bank being occupied by Westervoort. It is the smallest Dutch municipality by area.
On 11 December 2011, a new railway station was opened in Westervoort. This meant that for the first time in 75 years the inhabitants of Westervoort could make use of railway transportation again. Next to the recently opened station, public buses run through Westervoort. These buses establish a direct connection to Arnhem and the surrounding towns of Duiven and Zevenaar. The A12 motorway runs north of Westervoort and has an exit serving both Westervoort and the western parts of Duiven. In the south of Westervoort a small ferry boat connects Westervoort to the town of Huissen by crossing the Rhine.
- Bridge: de Westervoortse Brug
- "Samenstelling BenW" [Members board of mayor and aldermen] (in Dutch). Gemeente Westervoort. Retrieved 22 July 2014.
- "Kerncijfers wijken en buurten" [Key figures for neighbourhoods]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 2 July 2013. Retrieved 12 March 2014.
- "Postcodetool for 6931CZ". Actueel Hoogtebestand Nederland (in Dutch). Het Waterschapshuis. Retrieved 22 July 2014.
- "Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand" [Population growth; regions per month]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 26 June 2014. Retrieved 24 July 2014.