|Industry||Heating, ventilation and air-conditioning technology (HVAC) and renewable energies|
2.33 billion euros (2014)
Number of employees
|More than 12,000 employees worldwide|
The Vaillant Group is a company that develops products for heating, cooling and hot water.
The company employs over 12,000 people worldwide and generates an annual turnover of approximately 2.3 billion euros. This makes the Vaillant Group the second-largest company in its sector in Europe. This family-owned company is a global market leader in the wall-hung boiler segment. The Group’s activities focus on the development of green products, and energy-saving and environmentally friendly products in particular, with the aim of achieving sustainable and profitable growth. The Vaillant Group’s headquarters are located in Remscheid, North Rhine-Westphalia. The company is still one-hundred per cent family owned today.
The Vaillant Group’s CEO is Dr Carsten Voigtländer.
The history of the Vaillant Group dates back to 1874, when Johann Vaillant set up a master fitter’s business. In 1894 Johann Vaillant patented a new "closed-system" gas-fired bathroom boiler.
This was the first device that made it possible to heat water hygienically, without contaminating it with combustion gases. This was a great technical innovation at the time and Johann Vaillant had a lasting impact on the development of heating technology. At the same time, he opened up a new market segment. In 1924 a further technical milestone was reached, with the development of the first central heating boiler. This device made it possible to heat a whole building with a central heating unit and several radiators in various rooms – a system that is still in use to this day.
Notable landmarks in the company’s more recent history include the launch of the first wall-hung circulation water heater, the Circo Geyser, in 1961, and the first wall-hung water heater with condensing boiler technology that was developed and produced in-house in 1995. 2001 saw the internationalisation and expansion of the Vaillant Group’s brand and product portfolio and its sales and production network, following the acquisition of the British Hepworth Group. The company continued down this path of internationalisation with the acquisition of a majority stake in the Turkish heating and air-conditioning technology specialist Türk Demir Döküm Fabrikalari in 2007.
For several years the Vaillant Group has increasingly focussed on technologies based on renewable energies. In 2006 the Gelsenkirchen plant began to produce heat pumps. In 2008 the Group began to produce solar thermal collectors independently and on an industrial scale for the first time. In 2010 Vaillant developed the first zeolite gas heat pump and in 2011 the Group launched Europe’s first combined heat and power system for simultaneously generating electricity and heat in detached homes on the German market. The latter product won Vaillant the National German Sustainability Award in 2011.
The Vaillant Group brand family includes the following brands:
- Vaillant (founded in 1874, Germany)
- Saunier Duval (1907, France)
- awb (1934, Netherlands)
- Bulex (1934, Belgium)
- DemirDöküm (1954, Turkey)
- Glow-worm (1934, United Kingdom)
- Hermann Saunier Duval(1970, Italy)
- Protherm (1991, Czech Republic)
The Group has eleven sites for R&D and manufacturing in six European countries and China. There are four sites in Germany (Remscheid, Gelsenkirchen, Bergheim). In Slovakia there are two manufacturing plants in Trencín and Skalica. Further sites include Nantes (France), Belper (UK), Bozüyük (Turkey) and Wuxi (China).
The Vaillant Group’s products cover heating, ventilation and air-conditioning. The company has thus positioned itself as a full-range supplier. Vaillant’s core range includes wall-hung and floor-standing condensing boilers, solar thermal systems for hot water and heating, heat pump technologies, pellet boilers, combined heat and power systems, hybrid systems, ventilation systems for low-energy houses, regulation technology, gas and electric water heaters, air-conditioning systems, radiators and related services.
Prizes and awards
The Vaillant Group has won several awards over the years, including the following:
The Vaillant Group publishes an annual magazine with information about the company’s development and an annual sustainability report. Alongside these corporate reports, the Group also publishes the employee magazine Life the customer magazine 21grad and the compendium Energie, Zahlen, Daten, Fakten (Energy, Figures, Dates, Facts). The Director Corporate Communications is Dr Jens Wichtermann.
- Stabile Umsatzentwicklung in schwachem Marktumfeld. Article is only available in German language
- Vaillant wirbt für die Heizung als Sparkasse Found on 26 May 2015. (Article is only available in German language)
- Seit 125 Jahren immer in den schwarzen Zahlen. Found on 10. July 2012 (Article is only available in German language)
- Gasbadeofen „geschlossenes System“ Article is only available in German language
- Durchgebissen und nach oben gearbeitet. Found on 10. July 2012 (Article is only available in German language)
- Vaillant Group übernimmt für 229,5 Mio Euro Mehrheitsanteile DemirDöküms Found on 29 August 2011.(Article is only available in German language)
- Verkaufsstart der Zeolith-Gas-Wärmepumpe. Found on 10 July 2012 (Article is only available in German language).
- Weltweit erste Zeolith-Gas-Wärmepumpe. Found on 30 August 2011 (Article is only available in German language).
- Mikro-BHKW für Einfamilienhäuser. Found on 10 July 2012 (Article is only available in German language).
- Vaillant und Honda präsentieren Mikro-Heizkraftwerk für Einfamilienhäuser. Found on 30 August 2011 (Article is only available in German language).
- The ecoPOWER 1.0 micro-cogeneration system is Germany's most sustainable product. (Found on 11 July 2012)
- The Vaillant Group’s brand family
- Saunier Duval
- "CV ketels, verwarming, warmtepompen, thermostaten | AWB". www.awb.nl. Retrieved 2016-07-09.
- "DemirDöküm". www.demirdokum.com.tr. Retrieved 2016-07-09.
- "Hermann Saunier Duval | Sito ufficiale". www.hermann-saunierduval.it. Retrieved 2016-07-09.
- Superbrands Found on 26 May 2015.
- Great Place to Work Found on 26 May 2015.
- Annual magazine