South Shropshire (UK Parliament constituency)
Former County constituency|
for the House of Commons
|Number of members||two|
|Replaced by||Ludlow and Wellington|
|Created from||Bishop's Castle and Shropshire|
South Shropshire is a former United Kingdom Parliamentary constituency. It was a constituency of the House of Commons of the Parliament of the United Kingdom from 1832 to 1885. It was represented by two Knights of the Shire.
The constituency was abolished, along with North Shropshire, under the Redistribution of Seats Act 1885, with effect from the 1885 general election. The county was then divided between four new single-member constituencies: Ludlow, Newport, Oswestry and Wellington.
Members of Parliament
|Election||First member||First party||Second member||Second party|
|1832||The Earl of Darlington||Tory||Hon. Robert Clive||Tory|
|1842 by-election||Viscount Newport||Conservative|
|1854 by-election||Hon. Robert Windsor-Clive||Conservative|
|1859 by-election||Sir Baldwin Leighton, Bt||Conservative|
|April 1865 by-election||Hon. Sir Percy Egerton Herbert||Conservative|
|July 1865||Robert Jasper More||Liberal|
|1876 by-election||John Edmund Severne||Conservative|
|1877 by-election||Sir Baldwyn Leighton, Bt||Conservative|
- Parliamentary constituencies in Shropshire#Historical constituencies
- List of former United Kingdom Parliamentary constituencies
- Unreformed House of Commons
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "S" (part 3)
- Craig, F. W. S. (1989) . British parliamentary election results 1832–1885 (2nd ed.). Chichester: Parliamentary Research Services. pp. 448–449. ISBN 0-900178-26-4.