Sir Baldwyn Leighton, 8th Baronet
Leighton was the son of Sir Baldwin Leighton, 7th Baronet and his wife Mary Parker, daughter of Thomas Netherton Parker of Sweeney Hall, Shropshire. He was educated at Eton College and Christ Church, Oxford, graduating in 1859. He served in the rank of cornet in the South Salopian Yeomanry Cavalry and was a J.P. and Deputy Lieutenant for Shropshire. In 1871, he inherited the baronetcy on the death of his father. Leighton classed himself as a liberal Conservative and published several pamphlets on "Poor Law" and "Labour" for example. He also published "Letters of the late Edward Denison MP".
Leighton married Hon. Eleanor Leicester Warren (1841-1914), daughter of George Warren, 2nd Baron de Tabley. Their son Bryan Leighton succeeded to the baronetcy. Leighton's brother Stanley Leighton was also a Shropshire MP.
- Eleanor (1841-14 August 1914), married (1864), Sir Baldwyn Leighton, MP, 8th Bt (1836-2 January 1897), of Loton, Salop. She was (eventual) heir to her brother (3rd Lord De Tabley) in 1895, and in 1900 took the name Leighton-Warren
- A daughter: Catherina Barbara Leighton (painter and photographer), as a child (1870- 2 October 1952). She married Alfred Sotheby (1871 - 9 October 1949), the youngest son of Admiral Sir Edward Southwell Sotheby, KCB (1813-1902), on 28 September 1909.
- Marriage of Meriel Gundrede Leighton (d. 1947) & Algernon Edward Perkins (d. 1926), 9 April 1890
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "S" (part 3)
- Gladstone, E.W. (1953). The Shropshire Yeomanry 1795-1945, The Story of a Volunteer Cavalry Regiment. The Whitethorn Press. p. 50.
- Debretts House of Commons and the Judicial Bench 1886
- Craig, F. W. S. (1989) . British parliamentary election results 1832–1885 (2nd ed.). Chichester: Parliamentary Research Services. p. 449. ISBN 0-900178-26-4.
- Works related to Baldwyn Leighton at Wikisource
- Media related to Sir Baldwyn Leighton, 8th Baronet at Wikimedia Commons
- A portrait of Lady Leighton
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by Baldwyn Leighton
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
John Edmund Severne
|Member of Parliament for South Shropshire
1877 – 1885
With: John Edmund Severne
|Baronetage of England|
| Succeeded by|