Slovene theatre in Trieste
Slovene theatre in Trieste (Slovene: Slovensko stalno gledališče; Italian: Teatro Stabile Sloveno) is a Slovene minority's professional theatre, located in Trieste. The building was designed in the 1960s by the Slovenian architect of Trieste descent Edo Mihevc.
On 8 March 1902, its predecessor, the Slovene Dramatic Society was established in Trieste. In 1904, the theatre moved to the National Hall building. It had premiered 245 pieces by 1920, when it was burnt by Italian Fascists and prohibited during the Fascist Italianization period between the 1920s and 1945.
After World War II, it did not have its own permanent location until 1964, when it received its present location at Petronio Street no. 4. It premiered 254 pieces between the 1964/65 and 2003/04 seasons.
- History of the Slovene Theatre in Trieste (in Slovene and Italian), official website