Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Lahore
|Archdiocese of Lahore|
لاہور کے میٹروپولیٹن
Sacred Heart Cathedral in Lahore
|Area||23,069 km2 (8,907 sq mi)|
(as of 2004)|
|Cathedral||Sacred Heart Cathedral, Lahore|
|Metropolitan Archbishop||Sebastian Francis Shaw OFM|
Diocese of Faisalabad|
Diocese of Islamabad-Rawalpindi
Diocese of Multan
|Website of the Archdiocese|
On 1 September 1886 it was promoted and renamed after its see as Diocese of Lahore.
It lost vast territories repeatedly:
- on 6 July 1887 to establish the Apostolic Prefecture of Kafiristan and Kashmir
- on 13 September 1910 to establish the then Metropolitan Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Simla (now a suffragan of Delhi)
- on 17 December 1936 to establish the Apostolic Prefecture of Multan (now its suffragan diocese)
- on 17 January 1952 to establish the Apostolic Prefecture of Jalandhar and the Apostolic Prefecture of Kashmir and Jammu
(all Roman Rite)
- Apostolic Vicar of Punjab
- Paul Tosi, Capuchin Franciscans (O.F.M. Cap.) † (1 Sep 1886 Appointed - 1888 Died), Titular Bishop of Rhodiopolis (1868.03.03 – 1901.06.03), previously Apostolic Vicar of Patna (India) (1868.02.09 – 1880.09.27)
- Suffragan Bishops of Lahore
- Symphorien Charles-Jacques Mouard (Monard), O.F.M. Cap. † (8 Aug 1888 Appointed - 14 June 1890 Died), Titular Bishop of Cydonia (1882.09.15 – 1888.08.08), previously Apostolic Vicar of Seychelles (Seychelles) (1882.08.08 – 1888.08.08)
- Emmanuel Alfonso van den Bosch, O.F.M. Cap. † (21 Nov 1890 Appointed - 2 Jan 1892), later Metropolitan Archbishop of Agra (India) (1892.01.02 – 1897.04.27), emeritate as Titular Archbishop of Parium (1897.04.27 – 1921.10.17)
- Goffredo Pelckmans, O.F.M. Cap. † (2 June 1893 Appointed - death 1904.08.03)
- Fabiano Antonio Eestermans, O.F.M. Cap. † (11 April 1905 Appointed - 17 Dec 1925 Resigned), emeritate as Titular Bishop of Letopolis (1925.12.17 – death 1931.02.01)
- Hector Catry, O.F.M. Cap. † (28 March 1928 Appointed - 4 July 1946 Resigned), emeritate as Titular Bishop of Semta (1946.07.04 – death 1972.03.18)
- Marcel Roger Buyse, O.F.M. Cap. † (12 June 1947 Appointed - 12 March 1967 Retired), emeritate as Titular Bishop of Iunca in Byzacena (1967.03.12 – death 1971.01.08)
- Felicissimus Alphonse Raeymaeckers, O.F.M. Cap. † (12 March 1967 Succeeded - 10 July 1975 Resigned), previously Auxiliary Bishop of Lahore (1963.08.05 – 1966) & Titular Bishop of Aperlæ (1963.08.05 – 1967.03.12), next Coadjutor Bishop of Lahore (1966 – 1967.03.12)
- Armando Trindade † (10 July 1975 Appointed - 1994.04.23 see below), previously Titular Bishop of Tubusuptu (1973.07.05 – 1975.07.10) & Auxiliary Bishop of Lahore (1973.07.05 – 1975.07.10)
- Metropolitan Archbishops of Lahore
- Armando Trindade (see above 1994.04.23 – 31 July 2000 Died), also President of Pakistan Catholic Bishops’ Conference (1994 – 2000)
- Lawrence John Saldanha (24 April 2001 Appointed - 7 April 2011 resigned), also President of Pakistan Catholic Bishops’ Conference (2002 – 2011.03)
- Apostolic Administrator Sebastian Francis Shaw (2011 – 2013.11.14) while Titular Bishop of Knin (2009.02.14 – 2013.11.14) & Auxiliary Bishop of Lahore (2009.02.14 – 2013.11.14)
- Sebastian Francis Shaw (14 November 2013 - ... )
- Roman Catholic Diocese of Faisalabad
- Roman Catholic Diocese of Islamabad–Rawalpindi
- Roman Catholic Diocese of Multan
The Archdiocese also publishes the Catholic Naqib, the oldest Urdu-language Catholic journal, founded in Lahore in 1929.
In 1964 the Diocese opened the 215 bed Bethania Hospital, Sialkot which focuses mainly on preventing and treating TB. In 2008 it was treating 60,000 patients a year.
Lahore archdiocese had 511,226 Catholics, 30 diocesan priests, and 214 nuns, according to the 2001 Annuario Pontificio, the Vatican yearbook. The largest Catholic Archdiocese in Pakistan is divided into 26 parishes.
The Archdiocese is also home to the St. Francis Xavier Seminary.
The country’s 1st National Eucharistic Congress was organised by the local Catholic Church 9–11 September 2005 at the Marian Shrine of Mariamabad, Lahore diocese. It drew 20,000 participants and attracted ample media coverage local and national. The national marian strine of Mariamabad is situated 90 km from Lahore. Every year it draws thousands of clergy, religious and laity, families, other Christians and Muslims. Mariamabad shrine was opened in 1949 by a Belgian Cappuchin Friar Frank who died a martyr.
On 14 Feb 2009 Fr. Sebastian Francis Shah OFM was appointed Auxiliary Bishop of Lahore.
The Diocese is also home to Catholic TV, Pakistan the first Pakistani Catholic TV channel launched in 2009.
Schools in the Diocese
- St. Anthony's High School, Cantonment, Lahore
- St. Joseph's English High School, Gujranwala
- Convent of Jesus and Mary, Sialkot
- Presentation Convent School, Jhelum
- Convent of Jesus and Mary (Ambala Cantt)
- Sacred Heart High School for Boys
- Sacred Heart High School for Girls
- St. Anthony's Girls School, Sangla Hill
- St. Anthony's High School (Lahore), Lawrence Road
- St. Joseph's English High School
- St. Thomas’ High School, Jhelum
- Don Bosco Technical Institute, Lahore
- St. Paul’s High School, Gujranwala
- Don Bosco High School
- St. Anthony's High School, Faisal Town, Lahore
- St. Thomas’ School, Gulberg
- St. Mary's High School, Lahore.
- Franciscan Girls High School, Lahore
- St. Lawrence High School, Gulberg, Lahore
- St. Mary’s High School, Gujranwala
- "Archbishiop of Lahore". catholic-hierarchy.org.
- "Exclusive interview with Archbishop Lawrence Saldanha: Archbishop expresses concern at civilian casualties in Balochistan". Daily Times. 23 January 2006.
- "Agenzia Fides". 14 May 2004.
- "Charles urges inter-faith respect". BBC News. 2 November 2006.
- Vatican Radio 7/04/2011
- UCANews 19 December 2011
- Vatican Radio 3 July 2013
- Vatican Radio website 14 November 2013
- "PM, CM, governor grace 150-year jubilee of St Joseph's Church". Daily Times. November 1, 2003.
- "Three Day Communications Seminar" (PDF). signis.net. Archived from the original (PDF) on unknown. Check date values in:
- Journal of the Pakistan Medical Association, vol. 58:318; 2008
- "Pope Names Former Communications Head New Archbishop of Lahore". UCANews.com. May 14, 2001.
- "United Nations tasks Faisalabad Caritas with repatriating Afghan refugees living in local diocese". AsiaNews.it. 29 October 2009.
- "Pontificia Universitàs Urbaniana". sfxs-pk.urbaniana.edu.
- "1st National Eucharistic Congress". fides.org.
- "Catholic Hierarchy". catholic-hierarchy.org.
- "Catholic channel broadcasts on cable TV". ucanews.com. 2009-06-22.
- "Diocesan Profile Series". UCANews.com.
- "Apostolic Carmel Nuns Mark Silver Jubilee of Service in Pakistan". UCANews.com. May 2, 2006.