Richard Charles Vinen is a British professor of history at King's College London. Vinen is a specialist in European twentieth century history, particularly Great Britain and France. He was born in Birmingham and lived on a road in the Bourneville Estate. His father was a professor of physics. Vinen attended Trinity College, Cambridge. Later he moved to London where he and his wife lived in a succession of "amusingly louche" locations early in his career. He has written that "the Serious Crime Squad once installed a camera in our bedroom so that they could keep an eye on one of our neighbours." His first academic post was at Queen Mary College (now Queen Mary University of London) and he joined King's in 1991.
Vinen's latest book National Service: Conscription in Britain, 1945–1963 (2014) received generally positive reviews. On 13 May 2015, he was presented with a Wolfson History Prize and Templer Medal for it.
- The Politics of French Business: 1936-1945. Cambridge University Press. 1991. ISBN 0521404401. OCLC 24793485.
- Bourgeois Politics in France, 1945–1951. Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1995. ISBN 0521474515
- France 1934–1970. London, Macmillan, 1996.
- A History in Fragments, Europe in the Twentieth Century. Little Brown, 2000. (also published in Spanish and Italian)
- The Unfree French: Life under Occupation. London, Penguin, 2006. ISBN 0300121326
- Thatcher’s Britain. Simon & Schuster, 2009. ISBN 9781847371751
- National Service: Conscription in Britain 1945–1963. Allen Lane, August 28, 2014. ISBN 184614387X
- Professor Richard Vinen. King's College London. Retrieved 21 May 2015.
- "National Service: Conscription in Britain, 1945–1963, by Richard Vinen | Books". Times Higher Education. 2014-08-28. Retrieved 2015-05-21.
- "National Service: Conscription in Britain 1945–1963 by Richard Vinen, review: 'a little laborious'". Telegraph. Retrieved 2015-05-21.
- Richard Davenport-Hines. "National Service: Conscription in Britain 1945–1963 by Richard Vinen – review | Books". The Guardian. Retrieved 2015-05-21.
- "King's College London - Professor Richard Vinen wins Wolfson Prize and Templer Medal".
- Nord, Philip (1 January 1997). "Review of Bourgeois Politics in France, 1945-1951". French Politics and Society. 15 (1): 88–90. JSTOR 42844623.
- Vinen, Richard (1 January 2000). "A History in Fragments: Europe in the Twentieth Century". Da Capo Press – via Google Books.
- Le Ber, Jocelyne (1 January 2008). "Review of The Unfree French: Life under the Occupation". Rocky Mountain Review. 62 (1): 92–94. JSTOR 20479508.
- Vinen, Richard (1 January 2009). "Thatcher's Britain: The Politics and Social Upheaval of the Thatcher Era". Simon & Schuster – via Google Books.
- Vinen, Richard (28 August 2014). "National Service: A Generation in Uniform 1945-1963". Penguin – via Amazon.