Punjab Highway Patrol
|Punjab Highway Patrol|
Urdu: پنجاب ہائی وے پٹرول
|Abbreviation||PHP (Polite, Helpful, Passionate)|
|Motto||Safe Highways Urdu: محفوظ راہزن |
|Formed||8 January 2003|
|Legal personality||Governmental: Government agency|
|Operations jurisdiction*||Province of Punjab, Pakistan|
|Size||205,344 sq. km.|
|Agency executive||Additional IGP, Inspector General of Police (IGP) / Provincial Police Officer|
|* Divisional agency: Division of the country, over which the agency has usual operational jurisdiction.|
Highway Patrol,Punjab Police(Pakistan)
The foundations of PUNJAB HIGHWAY PATROL (Urdu: پنجاب ہائی وے پٹرول; reporting name: PHP) ,Police Department Punjab . PHP lay down by Mr. Chaudhry Pervaiz Elahi former Chief Minister of Punjab. The main aim to make this force is to safe highways and to change the image of police in people which is becoming monster. PHP Posts were constructed on highways of Province of Punjab. These posts got operationalized on May,2005. Well qualified and trained officials have been posted.
PHP officials are working and performing their duties with full spirit. Due to their patrolling on highway a healthy decrease in Highway Crimes, robberies, dacoity has been observed. A free Helpline 1124 was made by PHP. In this regard Punjab Highway patrol has launched advertising campaign of Helpline 1124 by erecting sign boards on highways in the jurisdiction of PHP. PHP successfully white washed the bad image of district Police from the mind of the locals.
The Chief Minister of the Punjab (Pakistan) announced the establishment of Patrolling Posts on the highways throughout the province on 8 January 2003. The object was to provide security to the people traveling on the highways and improve thana (Police Station) culture. 450 Patrolling Post would be established in two phases.
By 31 March 2005 more than 190 posts have become operational and others will soon be commissioned. More than 11,500 constables have been recruited and trained in two years. They receive a special pay package which is almost twice that of the regular police. The Punjab Highway Patrol is headed by an officer of the rank of an Additional Inspector-General of Police.
- Control crime on highways with a system of foot and mobile patrol within an area extending to 220 feet on either side of the designated highways
- Apprehend criminals and hand them over to the local police
- Preserve the crime scene and inform the local police after commission of an offence
- Take measures to control traffic accidents
- In case of accident, provide first aid to the injured and transport the seriously injured to hospital
- Serve as reporting centres and provide emergency help in the form of guidance and road-side assistance
- Keep the highways clear of encroachments in coordination with the competent authority
- Conduct effective nakabandi (picketing on roads/highways) to stop a suspect vehicle following a crime or an accident
- Check over-speeding and use of pressure horns in public service vehicles
- Ensure round the clock presence of uniformed, well trained, well educated, alert and vigilant force
- Traffic management on 12 Highways across the province
In order to distinguish Punjab Highway Patrol from general police a special uniform has been designed.
In addition to regular police training, the personnel of the Punjab Highway Patrol have been given instruction in the following areas: Character building Principles of patrolling Preservation of the scene of crime Stop, search and arrest First aid Public dealing / Community policing Safety and cleanliness. Their basic training Center is Chohung Training Center, Lahore. The Patrolmen have also been given 1-month Elite Police Training, to deal with the criminals in comparatively better way than the conventional police Officers in Thanas.
Road Safety, Law Enforcement
Recently, in many districts, some of the Patrolling Posts have also been given the responsibility of imposing fines on traffic violations.
In case of emergencies for help/assistance, Punjab Highway Patrol has established a helpline 1124 for road commuters.
Toyota Hilux (Single Cab & Double Cabin Vigo),