Pieksämäki from the water tower
Location of Pieksämäki in Finland
|Coordinates: 62°18′N 027°08′E / 62.300°N 27.133°ECoordinates: 62°18′N 027°08′E / 62.300°N 27.133°E|
|• Town manager||Tapio Turunen|
|• Total||1,836.39 km2 (709.03 sq mi)|
|• Land||1,569.63 km2 (606.04 sq mi)|
|• Water||266.76 km2 (103.00 sq mi)|
|Area rank||51st largest in Finland|
|• Rank||57th largest in Finland|
|• Density||11.92/km2 (30.9/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||98.5% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||13.6%|
|• 15 to 64||63.3%|
|• 65 or older||23.1%|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
|Municipal tax rate||19.75%|
It is located in the province of Eastern Finland and is part of the Southern Savonia region.The town has a population of 18,712 (31 March 2016) and covers an area of 1,836.39 square kilometres (709.03 sq mi) of which 266.76 km2 (103.00 sq mi) is water. The population density is 11.92 inhabitants per square kilometre (30.9/sq mi).. Neighbour municipalities are Hankasalmi, Joroinen, Juva, Kangasniemi, Leppävirta, Mikkeli, Rautalampi and Suonenjoki.
The town of Pieksämäki was formed on January 1, 2007 with the consolidation of the municipalities of Pieksämäki and Pieksänmaa.
The Mikkeli University of Applied Sciences' Campus of Forestry is located in Pieksämäki.
The municipality is unilingually Finnish.
Results of the Finnish parliamentary election, 2011 in Pieksämäki:
- Centre Party 28.6%
- Social Democratic Party 23.7%
- True Finns 22.0%
- National Coalition Party 12.2%
- Left Alliance 4.4%
- Green League 4.3%
- Christian Democrats 4.2%
Twin towns — Sister cities
Pieksämäki is twinned with:
- Rietrik Polén, (1823-1884) Journalist and Finnish nationalist
- "Area by municipality as of 1 January 2011" (PDF) (in Finnish and Swedish). Land Survey of Finland. Retrieved 9 March 2011.
- "Ennakkoväkiluku sukupuolen mukaan alueittain, maaliskuu.2016" (in Finnish). Statistics Finland. Retrieved 31 March 2016.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age and gender by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 28 April 2009.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2011". Tax Administration of Finland. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
Media related to Pieksämäki at Wikimedia Commons