|Genre||Sci-fi, Action, Adventure|
|Anime television series|
Takahiro IkezoeRyosuke Takahashi
|Written by||Leiji Matsumoto|
|Music by||Kousuke Yamashita|
|Original run||16 March 2012 – 21 April 2012|
The story is set on Earth in the future when abnormal activity on the sun devastates Earth's atmosphere and covers the entire planet in a sea of sand. Sam pursues Ozma, an enemy of his brother. One day, Sam encounters Maya, who is being chased by the Theseus army.
Sam Coyne (サム・コイン Samu Koin)
- Voiced by: Tetsuya Kakihara
- Sam Coin is the protagonist of OZMA. After his brother was taken, he joined the Baldanos' Crew. He often brings about trouble, for which the crew makes fun of him. He saved Maya, who was being pursued by the Theseus Army. Sam is very confident, and often does not think twice about taking risks. He is willing to do anything to assist someone in need.
Maya (マヤ Maya)
- Voiced by: Rie Tanaka
- Maya is a mysterious girl being chased by the Theseus Army. She is saved by Sam Coyne and brought aboard the Bardanos. She is one of the original "Ideal Children". The Ideal Children serve as the basis of the Theseus' cloning operation. Over time, the quality of the clones produced by the Theseus has dropped; the Theseus want to use Maya to counteract this degradation in quality.
Mimay (ミメイ Mimei)
- Voiced by: Ayumi Fujimura
- Mimay is Sam Coin's childhood friend and a crew member of the Bardanos. She holds feelings for him, but he doesn't seem to notice.
Bainas (バイナス Bainasu)
- Voiced by: Atsuko Tanaka
- Bainas is the captain of the Bardanos.
Gido Gaira (ギド・ガイラー Gido Gairā)
- Voiced by: Shō Hayami
|1||"The Sand Whale"|
"Suna no Kujira" (砂のクジラ)
|March 16, 2012|
|While Sam is searching for an Ozma, or 'sand whale', he spots a woman being chased by the Theseus Army. When an Ozma appears and causes the military to turn back, Sam rescues the woman, who introduces herself as Maya. Sam takes Maya back to the ship he lives on to let her eat, but the Theseus Army catches up and corners the ship, demanding Maya. The captain decides to protect Maya, and the military opens fire. The ship escapes by diving into the desert sand, much to the surprise of the Theseus commander.|
"Senkou Genkai" (潜航限界)
|March 23, 2012|
|The Sand Pirates have escaped with Maya, and Theseus is in hot pursuit. The pirates dive under the sand, but are locked down by sand anchors. The pressure and temperature in the ship are rising, and time is running out.|
|3||"A Thousand Years of Doubt"|
"Chitose no Mayoi" (千年の迷い)
|March 30, 2012|
|Maya, fearing that she will bring the unwanted attention of the Theseus upon the Natura, flees from the Bardanos. Maya is being pursued by the Theseus because she is one of the "Ideal Children", or individuals with the "greatest DNA". The Ideal Children are critically important to the Theseus cloning program which is used to produce Theseus soldiers. The Theseus have used the same genetic base for generations, which has led to a degradation in the quality of the clones produced. Ultimately, Maya is captured by Gido and is placed under armed guard on his ship.|
|4||"To the Ends of the Earth"|
"Chi no Hate made" (地の果てまで)
|April 7, 2012|
|As Gido escapes with Maya, Sam sets off in pursuit with Mimay in tow. But their bike is no match for the Theseus sand cruiser, and Gido escapes. To catch them, they'll have to go back under the ground with the Bardanos.|
|5||"The Masked Man"|
"Kamen no Otoko" (仮面の男)
|April 14, 2012|
|The Bardanos finds itself in Ozma's nest: a strange cave filled with fresh water and life. Bainas shoots Gido's mask, and the face beneath it is that of Sam's brother|
|6||"The Day of a New Life"|
"Shinsei no Hi" (新生の日)
|April 21, 2012|
|Ozma's nature is revealed, and it is time for Maya to make her choice: begin a new era with the life inside the zone, or allow humanity to remain in control of a dying planet.|
- "Nikkan Sports: Leiji Matsumoto Makes Ozuma TV Anime". Anime News Network. 2012-01-11. Retrieved 2012-01-27.
- "Tetsuya Kakihara, Rie Tanaka Star in Leiji Matsumoto's Ozuma". Anime News Network. 2012-01-24. Retrieved 2012-02-01.