Dog & Scissors
|Dog & Scissors|
Cover of the first light novel volume featuring main characters Kirihime Natsuno (left) and Kazuhito Harumi (right)
(Inu to Hasami wa Tsukaiyō)
Shunsuke SaraiTetsuhiro Nabeshima
|Original run||February 28, 2011 – January 30, 2015|
|Written by||Shunsuke Sarai|
|Illustrated by||Kamon Ōniwa|
|Published by||Kadokawa Shoten|
|Original run||July 2012 – May 2014|
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Yukio Takahashi|
|Written by||Toshizo Nemoto|
|Music by||Akito Matsuda|
|Network||AT-X, Tokyo MX, tvk, Sun TV|
|Original run||July 1, 2013 – September 16, 2013|
Dog & Scissors (犬とハサミは使いよう Inu to Hasami wa Tsukaiyō), also known by the abbreviation InuHasa (犬ハサ), is Japanese light novel series written by Shunsuke Sarai and illustrated by Tetsuhiro Nabeshima.
Dog & Scissors centers around Kazuhito Harumi, a high school boy who is obsessed with reading books. One day, while reading in a cafe, he is shot and killed when he attempts to protect a random stranger. As he is determined to read his favorite author's unreleased last work, he gets a second chance and is reincarnated as a dachshund dog. As a dog he is adopted by Kirihime Natsuno, the very person he tried to save, as well as the only person who can understand him in his new form. Kazuhito then discovers that she is not only his favorite novelist, but also a sadist who enjoys terrorizing him with scissors.
- Kazuhito Harumi (春海 和人 Harumi Kazuhito)
- Voiced by: Takahiro Sakurai (Japanese); Blake Shepard (English)
- A high school bookworm who loves reading books and novels. He is also an avid fan of Shinobu Akiyama's works. He lived away from his parents and sister so that he could be within walking distance of his favorite bookstore. He was killed during the robbery in the cafe while protecting a customer. Regretting being unable to read Akiyama's latest novel and the desire to live, he was resurrected as a dachshund much to his surprise. He's known as Kuro by the neighbourhood in this form.
- Kirihime Natsuno (夏野 霧姫 Natsuno Kirihime)
- Voiced by: Marina Inoue (Japanese); Jessica Calvello (English)
- A beautiful, yet sadistic scissor-wielding novelist who adopted Kazuhito from a pet store. She writes novels and goes by her pen name as Shinobu Akiyama, whom Kazuhito greatly admires. She is one of those who can hear Kazuhito's thoughts. She harbors feelings for Kazuhito and is easily jealous whenever he's known to be close to another girl. Natsuno is also too conscious regarding her small breasts and is also known to comically find ways to enlarge them and anyone who makes some remark about it usually becomes a victim of her anger. She uses a pair of extremely hard scissors that she has owned since childhood known as Hasajiro and is quite proficient with them, along with her great physical prowess make her a tough fighter.
- Madoka Harumi (春海 円香 Harumi Madoka)
- Voiced by: Kana Asumi (Japanese); Juliet Simmons (English)
- Madoka is Kazuhito's little sister who calls him "Kazu-nii." She likes making curry, but is a really bad cook to the point her food is always censored. She's known to use a high-technological Knife that can transform into a dual-bladed chainsaw and also a cannon. She is in love with her brother and would often ask for help with dating other boys to try to make him jealous, but to no avail due to Kazuhito's nonchalant attitude towards life. Following Kazuhito's death, Madoka went mad with grief and began to search for any scrap of evidence that her brother was still alive in some way. She at first, correctly, believes that Kazuhito in his dog form is her brother, but is convinced otherwise by Kirihime after a heated fight. Though she now believes that Kazuhito's dog form isn't her brother, she still calls him "Kazu-nii."
- Suzuna Hiiragi (柊 鈴菜 Hiiragi Suzuna)
- Voiced by: Shizuka Itō (Japanese); Joanne Bonasso (English)
- Kirihime's editor who works at the company which publishes Kirihime's works. She is rather unstable, hyperactive and masochistic to the point of wanting to be abused by Kirihime. She may also be an otaku due how Suzuna likes acting out and quoting certain anime phrases. She also understands Harumi's thoughts.
- Hami Ōsawa (大澤 映見 Ōsawa Hami)
- Voiced by: Ai Kakuma (Japanese); Luci Christian (English)
- A daughter of a famous author and an extremely apologetic and shy girl, who tends to be very insecure about herself and that she may bother others, to the point she will apologize numerous times and claiming she's better dead. She was a schoolmate of Kazuhito and the two met when he read an unfinished script of a novel she was writing, instead of ditching it as she expected, Kazuhito encouraged her to write more and that he would be the first reader of her novel. After Kazuhito's death she accurately distinguishes him on his dog form due to his mannerisms and knowing where the script was hidden, although she can't listen to his thoughts she can more or less understand what he tries to say. In order to boost her confidence due to believing herself to have won awards due to his father's intervention, she challenged Natsuno to a writing contest and used several techniques, such as hypnosis and suggestion to hinder her, but was still defeated and told by Natsuno that her father made no intervention and her awards were in fact, earned by her own hard work, following this she befriended Natsuno, calling her senpai.
- Maxi Akizuki (秋月 マキシ Akizuki Makishi)
- Voiced by: Yū Serizawa (Japanese); Brittney Karbowski (English)
- A popular young idol and also a famous writer on the level of Natsuno. She frequently appears on the story along her servants, trying to become the spotlight, but is comically taken away by her men due to busy schedule. She has a dislike for Natsuno and is hinted to have an equal dislike towards dogs.
- Sachi Moribe (森部 佐茅 Moribe Sachi)
- Voiced by: Chiwa Saito (Japanese); Carli Mosier (English)
- A strange red-haired maid dressed in red who serves Himehagi Momiji with great devotion. She has a habit of dancing and singing alone on a park chants for her mistress and becomes incredibly embarrassed towards any witness, to the point she will attack the victim viciously (usually Kazuhito). In combat she uses her broom which hides a long blade, resembling a Naginata and is durable enough to compete with Natsuno's Hasajiro. Although the two clash with certain recurrence, their battle is always interrupted.
- Toji Nakahara (中原 冬至 Nakahara Tōji)
- Voiced by: Rikiya Koyama (Japanese); John Gremillion (English)
- A rampant criminal and the man responsible for causing Kazuhito's death. He's also an avid reader of Natsuno's book and even fights using moves inspired by her characters using the thick books of the Seven Deadly sins series as weapons and protection. He's confronted by Natsuno and left hanging from a bridge after a battle. When Natsuno encourages Kazuhito to take revenge, he spares him instead.
Dog & Scissors began as a light novel series written by Shunsuke Sarai, with illustrations by Tetsuhiro Nabeshima. Enterbrain published 14 volumes from February 28, 2011 to January 30, 2015 under their Famitsu Bunko imprint; 10 comprise the main story, while the other four are short story collections.
A manga adaptation, illustrated by Kamon Ōniwa, was serialized in Kadokawa Shoten's Shōnen Ace between the July 2012 and May 2014 issues. Four tankōbon volumes were released between January 26, 2013 and April 26, 2014. The English version of the manga adaptation is available on BookWalker.
A 12-episode anime adaptation directed by Yukio Takahashi and produced by Gonzo premiered on AT-X on July 1, 2013,. The series had been acquired for online streaming in North America by Crunchyroll in addition to being licensed in North America by Sentai Filmworks. The series uses two pieces of theme music. The opening theme is "Wan Wan Wan Wan N_1!!" (わんわんわんわんN_1!!) by Inu Musume Club consisting of Marina Inoue, Kana Asumi, Shizuka Itou, Ai Kakuma and Yū Serizawa, while the ending theme is "Lemonade Scandal" (レモネイドスキャンダル) by Yū Serizawa.
|No.||Title||Original air date|
|1||"Every Dog Has His Day"|
"Inu mo Arukeba Bō ni Ataru" (犬も歩けば棒に当たる)
|July 1, 2013|
|Kazuhito Harumi is a teenage boy with an obsession of books, particularly the ones written by his favorite author, Shinobu Akiyama. One day, Kazuhito is shot dead in a cafe during a robbery after protecting a costumer. To his surprise, Kazuhito is later reincarnated as a dachshund dog and was brought to a pet shop. Not being able to read a book after a week, Harumi is later adopted by a mysterious girl named Kirihime Natsuno, which Kazuhito later discovers as the costumer he protected during the robbery and the real name of Shinobu Akiyama. While under Kirihime's care, Kazuhito came to know of Kirihime's sadistic side and at the same time her positive traits, as well as being a martial artist. After contacting someone asking for Kazuhito's wallet and address, Kirihime, who along with Kazuhito heads to the latter's former apartment.|
|2||"Strike While the Dog Is Hot"|
"Inu wa Atsui Uchi ni Ute" (犬は熱いうちに打て)
|July 8, 2013|
|After being teased of wearing a pet collar and scaring and ignoring passersby respectively, Kirihime and Kazuhito arrive at the latter's former apartment. Kirihime deduced that the man who killed Kazuhito is currently hiding at the latter's own apartment. The latter is proven true and consequently Kirihime and Kazuhito give chase to Kazuhito's killer until they reach a skyway where the killer reveals to have read all of Kirihime's books which lead him to become its fanatic. After a farce, the killer was on the verge of falling to his death where Kirihime tells Kazuhito to exact his revenge to his killer. However, Kazuhito pulls the man down - saving him, stating that he won't kill him since he is also a book lover and if otherwise would result only to tarnishing Kazuhito's way of ever reading again. Kirihime however, is against this as she felt guilty for being the reason of Kazuhito's death. As Kazuhito consoles Kirihime by telling her that he is aware of Kirihime's true self after reading her books, Kirihime breaks into tears. Afterwards, Kirihime began to harbor feelings for Kazuhito.|
|3||"The Winter Dog Flies into the Fire"|
"Tonde Hi ni Iru Fuyu no Inu" (飛んで火に入る冬の犬)
|July 15, 2013|
|Waking up from a nightmare, Kazuhito meets Kirihime's masochistic editor, Suzuna Hiiragi, who tells Kirihime of a slasher currently on the loose. After tormenting Kazuhito for realizing him to be the reason for her writer's block, Kirihime learns more of the slasher incidents from Suzuna and decided to conduct an investigation regarding it, despite her sister's opposition. In the midst of their investigation, Kirihime comes face-to-face with rival author and popular idol, Maxi Akizuki. Before the two authors clash, Maxi was dragged by one of her men. Later, as Kazuhito infer that all the slasher victims had bought Kirihemi's books, another incident took place and the duo investigates. As Kirihime chases the presumed slasher, Kazuhito gets caught in a trap. When he came to, Kazuhito found himself at his old apartment where he meets his younger sister, Madoka Harumi.|
|4||"Drowning Men Clutch at Dogs"|
"Oboreru Mono wa Inu o mo Tsukamu" (溺れる者は犬をも掴む)
|July 22, 2013|
|As Kirihime loses the supposed slasher during her pursuit, Madoka acts strangely towards Kazuhito, whom he initially believed that she is aware that he is currently a dog but actually isn't as shown that she can't actually understand Kazuhito in his current dog form but nonetheless considered him as her late brother. While Madoka leaves temporarily, Kirihime takes Kazuhito back to her home and interrogates him about his abductee. After being convinced Madoka is really his sister, Kirihime shows Kazuhito an item the supposed slasher dropped during the pursuit - Shinobu Akiyama's book, as Kazuhito deduces that the slasher holds a grudge against its author which Kirihime suspects to be Madoka, much to Kazuhito's disbelief. The next day the duo continues their investigation and Kirihime gets notified by Suzuna that someone has been shredding her books, which reveals to be Madoka. Back at her home, Kirihime apprises that the cause of Madoka's grievance were her books which the latter thought to be the cause of her late brother's death. After Kirihime agreed in helping Kazuhito in confronting his sister, Madoka breaches into Kirihime's home and gets a hold of Kazuhito.|
|5||"Nothing Ventured, No Dog Gained"|
"Koketsu ni Irazunba Inu o Ezu" (虎穴に入らずんば犬を得ず)
|July 29, 2013|
|Facing the author whom she thought to have caused his brother's death, Kirihime questions Madoka if her recent actions would have made her brother happy knowing that he is one of her readers. Afterwards Madoka jumps off Kirihime's apartment building with Kazuhito in tow. After lamenting on her actions, Madoka and Kirihime have a duel using their respective "weapons"—Madoka's multi-purpose electrical knife, Tuna Eater and Kirihime's large pair of shears, Hasajiro. With Kirihime gaining the upper hand, Madoka transforms her knife into a cannon and shoots Kirihime. However Kirihime was able to deflect the bullet and Madoka realizes her defeat and the two call a truce; becoming friends. Surprisingly, Kirihime and Kazuhito discover that Madoka isn't the rumored slasher. Instead the one behind the incidents was Kirihime's editor, Suzuna, who claim that she did it all for Kirihime's sake so that she can overcome her writer's block. Kirihime then appears, who was already aware of Suzune's plans from the start and states that she had already overcome her slump as shown as she throws multiple written drafts into the air as Suzuna gathers them while sitting. After warning Suzuna of acting "nice" towards her from then onwards; the next day, Kirihime bids Madoka farewell and Suzuna reveals that she had already exterminated the real slasher prior to Kirihime and Kazuhito's investigation, much to the former's frustration.|
|6||"Rain Settles the Dog"|
"Amefutte Inu Katamaru" (雨降って犬固まる)
|August 5, 2013|
|Kazuhito learns from Yayoi, the younger sister of the cashier of Honda Booksellers, Sakura, that they might be leaving the city. In her apartment, Kazuhito shares to Kirihime the story of his first visit to the said bookstore which eventually ends in Kazuhito being tormented by Kirihime for calling her flat-chested numerous times while she was asleep. Back in the bookstore, Yayoi storms off with Kazuhito where he learns that the bookstore is indeed closing. In hopes of saving the bookstore, Yayoi and Kazuhito publicize the bookstore around the area whilst stumbling on Maxi. Later, while trying to cheer up a weeping Yayoi, Kirihime arrives and after threatening Kazuhito, tells Yayoi to head home which the latter denies, fearing her sister will hate her. But nonetheless, Yayoi returns to the bookstore and apologizes to her sister. Sakura then denies the fact that their store is closing as Yayoi misinterpreted it due to seeing her parents fighting frequently. After Sakura reassures Yayoi that they won't get separated, Kazuhito felt grateful for Kirihime for adopting him which is immediately shattered when Kirihime again teases Kazuhito into punishing him.|
|7||"The Dog Would Not Be Shot but for Its Cries"|
"Inu mo Nakazuba Utaremai" (犬も鳴かずば撃たれまい)
|August 12, 2013|
|Kazuhito is told by Kirihime to help look for her lost bra. After Kirihime punishes Kazuhito for trying to get her scent, Suzuna joins the search as Kazuhito ditches to read more books. When he was found out by Kirihime, the two argue and Kazuhito accidentally discovers Kirihime's kit of breast accession, leading him to get punished by Kirihime. As Kirihime and Suzuna continue their search, Kazuhito finds Kirihime's bra under his blanket. Fearing that Kirihime may torture him, Kazuhito plans to dispose Kirihime's bra. Meanwhile Kirihime searches for Kazuhito as she senses someone stalking her. Later on Kazuhito founds a maid performing solely while he was trying to bury Kirihime's bra. Eventually the maid discovers Kazuhito and attempts to kill him. By passing into a busy street, Kazuhito is nearly hit by a truck until Kirihime saves him in the nick of time. As Kirihime and the maid draw out their blades, their fight is postponed after the maid hears someone selling roasted potatoes. Afterwards Kirihime founds her lost bra on Kazuhito. Seeing a miniature dog design on her bra, Kazuhito deduces that Kirihime love dogs. Trying to act dog-like, Kazuhito instead got chased by Kirihime as someone continues to stalk the latter.|
|8||"Dogs in Moderation"|
"Yu ni Irite Inu ni Irazare" (湯に入りて犬に入らざれ)
|August 19, 2013|
|Kirihime and Kazuhito arrive in a hot spring inn, as well as Madoka whom Kirihime invited. After settling in, Kirihime felt frustrated as she is constantly hindered by her acquaintances in her advances to Kazuhito as well as the latter's ignorance towards them. As the two head out, Kirihime went to buy a whetstone and later, took a picture with Kazuhito. Upon returning, Kazuhito notices that the personnel in the inn acting strangely around them. While sharpening her shears in the hot springs, Kazuhito appears and warns Kirihime of a horde of hypnotized helpers wielding blades. Kirihime identifies the horde as the same group who attacked her previously. Afterwards Kazuhito buys Kirihime time to sharpen her shears until Madoka arrives and joins in the fray. With her shears perfectly sharpen, Kirihime and Madoka engage at the horde as Kirihime delivers a fatal blow after seeing her love guide book being stepped and crumpled by the horde. The following day, the inn was put to a close as Kirihime remarks that she and Kazuhito will again return to the inn someday, alone.|
|9||"There Is No Smoke Without Dog"|
"Inu Nai Tokoro ni Kemuri wa Tatazu" (犬無いところに煙は立たず)
|August 26, 2013|
|As she is continued to be bothered by the mobs and her stalker, Kirihime and Kazuhito found an extra book in the former's library—a book of an author named Hotaru Fujimaki. After examining the book, Kazuhito notices its resemblance to Kirihime's book. Trying to gain more information, Kirihime summons Suzuna where they learn of the author's account sans its actual name. Kirihime then decides to meet the author herself and while passing in an abandoned warehouse, Kirihime and Kazuhito is again faced by the same horde that attacked them in the inn. When Kazuhito came to, he and Kirihime is faced by the latter's stalker and Hotaru Fujimaki's father, Shuzan Ohsawa; the one responsible for sneaking the book into her apartment. While being interrogated, Shuzan reveals that he was only following her daughter's task of bringing her book to Kirihime, despite his oppositions. By a slip of tongue, the duo realizes that Shuzan isn't the one behind the mob incidents. In an address given to them by Shuzan, Kirihime and Kazuhito head to the latter's high school to meet with Hotaru Fujimaki. While Kazuhito is in the library he is met by Hami Oshsawa.|
|10||"Time Flies Like a Dog"|
"Kōin Inu no Gotoshi" (光陰犬の如し)
|September 2, 2013|
|Prior to the event of his death, Kazuhito once read a manuscript of a timid Hami Ohsawa. With Kazuhito's encouragement, Hami promises to become an author using the manuscript Kazuhito read. Back in the present, Kazuhito realizes that Hami is Hotaru Fujimaki, an anagrammatic pen name derived from Kazuhito's own name. In order to fulfill her promise with Kazuhito, Hami intends to defeat Kirihime. Through the school's PA system, Hami faces Kirihime. By not using violence as a means to settle their challenge, Kirihime and Hami agrees to have a writing contest; the winner is determined to be the one who first finished writing a 100 page manuscript. To Hami's surprise, Kirihime was able to withstand all her fallacious techniques and is still ahead in their challenge. However, Hami uses her ultimate technique: Brionac, where the readers do the author's bidding through reading certain keywords in a book. Unfortunately for Hami, Kirihime was still able to win the challenge after using her mouth to finish writing. After their contest, Kirihime encourages Hami to continue writing using her own strength and in finishing the manuscript Kazuhito read. With this, Hami seemingly became Kirihime's pupil in writing as Kirihime uses Brionac against Kazuhito to lunge at her.|
|11||"A Dog by Chance Is Preordained"|
"Inu Furiau mo Tashō no En" (犬振り合うも多生の縁)
|September 9, 2013|
|Madoka is again to cook curry for Kazuhito, much to his fright. But after sniffing Madoka's cooking, Kazuhito felt at ease for the time being until he found out that Madoka is actually cooking a blue-colored curry and escapes to Honda Booksellers. There, Kazuhito came to admire Sakura's way of satisfying her costumers by supplying them with books of their tastes. Suddenly, Maxi's men appear and purchased all of Momiji Himehagi and Shinobu Akiyama's book from the bookstore. Afterwards Kazuhito is again chased by the singing maid, Moribe Sachi, who also serves Momiji Himehagi. Kirihime then appears to shield Kazuhito and as they prepare to fight, Maxi interferes by challenging Kirihime in a legendary writing contest known as a 'Nine Story Tower Writing Contest'. However, Maxi is again dragged by his men and their contest is cancelled, much to Kazuhito's dismay. Later, at the bookstore, Hami notifies Sakura that she had made an important decision as an author, as well as Madoka's enrollment to the formers' school and adds that she will continue the legacy of her late brother. Proud of his sister's development, Kazuhito agrees to eat Madoka's curry nevertheless. In the end, Kazuhito forced himself to eat Madoka's rainbow-colored curry.|
|12||"Dogs and Scissors Require Good Handling"|
"Inu to Hasami wa Tsukaiyō" (犬とハサミは使いよう)
|September 16, 2013|
|After being ignored on her way in, Suzuna suggests if Kirihime will now make her public debut and discuss other future plans. Additionally, Suzuna prepares Kirihime's wardrobe for her book signing after her debut. After experimenting with some clothes, Madoka and Hami join in the costume play as well. Afterwards, as Suzuna was about to prepare to have Kirihime wear a school swimsuit, Kirihime cuts her off instead, much to her excitement. Eventually, Suzuna coerces her way to booze Kirihime with alcohol in hopes to improve her image—or rather, to have her punish her more. Consequently, Kirihime's personality alters to a kinder and warmer one, much to the horror of both Kazuhito and Suzuna. After Kazuhito tells Kirihime that breast size doesn't matter, Kirihime took the latter as a proposal from Kazuhito as Kirihime fantasize about their marriage ceremony, honeymoon and the future of their children, much to Kazuhito's annoyance. Later, as Kirihime intends to sleep together with Kazuhito, Kirihime vomits unto Kazuhito. The following day, Kirihime returns to normal as she offers to bathe Kazuhito off adding that she always act kind to him. In the epilogue, while asking for his thoughts on her book, Kazuhito instead reprimands Kirihime for not writing the final volume of his favorite series which lead Kirihime to chase Kazuhito once more.|
- "Crunchyroll to Stream Inuhasa/Dog and Scissors TV Anime". Anime News Network. June 27, 2013. Retrieved June 27, 2013.
- Green, Scott (2014-12-03). "'Dog & Scissors' English Dub Cast Announced". Crunchyroll.
- "Dog & Scissors (Kadokawa Manga)". BookWalker. Retrieved December 10, 2015.
- "Gonzo Makes Inu to Hasami Wa Tsukiyou Anime". Anime News Network. March 15, 2013. Retrieved June 27, 2013.
- "Sentai Filmworks Licenses Dog & Scissors". Anime News Network. Retrieved 6 July 2013.
- "Story" (in Japanese). Inuhasa.jp. Retrieved February 14, 2014.