Newbury Park, London
Newbury Park is a district of Ilford in North-East Greater London, situated in the London Borough of Redbridge east of Gants Hill. The main road is the Eastern Avenue (A12), which until the 1920s was a country lane called Hatch Lane. The main landmark in this town is the Tube station whose post-war bus shelter received a Festival of Britain award in 1951. The shelter was designed by architect Oliver Hill in 1937.
The station was originally opened by the Great Eastern Railway in 1903 on the Fairlop Loop, before being transferred to the London Underground in 1947, and partially rebuilt, but the planned complete re-building has been suspended to this day. Steam services southward to Ilford railway station ceased at this time, the track being lifted by 1956. Central line tube services now burrow underground and swing sharply west towards Gants Hill, Leytonstone and central London.
At one time, it had two hospitals: the King George V and Ilford Maternity Hospital. They have both been demolished and replaced by blocks of flats, while a new hospital called King George V has been built further east in Little Heath.
The area has two synagogues: a constituent of the United Synagogue (orthodox), and the South West Essex Reform Jewish synagogue. A third synagogue, the Barkingside Progressive Synagogue, is, despite its name, also in Newbury Park. The area also has a number of Churches such as the Catholic Church St. Teresa's near the station.
Nearby places are Aldborough Hatch, Barkingside, Gants Hill, Goodmayes Seven Kings and Ilford. The A12 road runs through Newbury Park and a shopping complex lies near the Eastern Avenue / Horns Road junction. Stores include Aldi, Pets at Home, two B&Qs (on the same lot, selling different products) and Toys "R" Us.
Nearby schools include Valentines High School and recently opened Seven Kings Primary attached to Seven Kings High school. Newbury Park Primary School is on Perrymans Farm Road, opening in 1904 as the Horns Elementary School. William Torbitt Primary is on Eastern Avenue. The Oaks Park High School, at the eastern end of Perrymans Farm Road, opened in 2001.