Lexham English Bible
|Lexham English Bible|
|Full name||Lexham English Bible|
|Textual basis||NT: SBL Greek New Testament.|
|Translation type||Formal Equivalence|
|Reading level||High School|
|Publisher||Logos Bible Software|
|Copyright||Copyright 2010 Logos Bible Software|
The Lexham English Bible (LEB) is an online bible released by Logos Bible Software. The New Testament was published in October 2010 and has an audio narration spoken by Mary Allen. It lists as General Editor W. Hall Harris, III. The Old Testament translation was completed in 2011.
According to its foreword, the translator's intent was to achieve:
- "unparalleled...transparency with the original language text.... It was produced with the specific purpose of being used alongside the original language text of the Bible. Existing translations, however excellent they may be in terms of English style and idiom, are frequently so far removed from the original language texts of scripture that straightforward comparison is difficult for the average user.... The ability to make such comparisons easily in software formats...makes the need for an English translation specifically designed for such comparison even more acute."
The LEB is relatively literal and was derived from an interlinear translation of the Greek NT. An unusual feature of the LEB is the use of corner brackets to mark idioms in the English translation. Italics are used to indicate words supplied by the translator with no direct equivalent in the underlying Greek.
At its release, it only included the New Testament and was simultaneously offered for free use for Logos users as well as other popular software suites, including freeware such as e-Sword and The SWORD Project. These were later updated to include the Old Testament. It can also be accessed in its entirety on websites listed below. The LEB is available under a very permissive license which allows royalty-free commercial and non-commercial use.
- Lexham English Bible Home Page.
- Logos Bible Software Sketch.
- Bible Study Tools Sketch.
- Bible Gateway Sketch and Copyright Info.