Joint Ministerial Committee (United Kingdom)
|This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
the United Kingdom
United Kingdom portal
In the United Kingdom, the Joint Ministerial Committee (JMC), (Welsh: Y Cyd-bwyllgor Gweinidogion), is a consultative body established by a memorandum of understanding between the UK Government and devolved administrations in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. The JMC seeks to act as a focus for the coordination of the relationships between these administrations.
- "To consider non-devolved matters which impinge on devolved responsibilities, and devolved matters which impinge on non-devolved responsibilities."
- "Where the UK government and the devolved administrations so agree, to consider devolved matters if it is beneficial to discuss their respective treatment in different parts of the UK."
- "To keep the arrangements for liaison between the UK government and the devolved administrations under review."
- To consider disputes between the administrations."
The current membership of the JMC is as follows:
- Theresa May, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom
- Nicola Sturgeon, First Minister of Scotland
- Carwyn Jones, First Minister of Wales
- Arlene Foster and Martin McGuinness, First Minister and deputy First Minister of Northern Ireland
The following may also attend sessions of the JMC:
- The Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs
- The secretaries of state for Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
- Other Secretaries of State when issues relating to their remit are discussed.
The JMC last met in October 2016 and prior to that, in December 2014. Under proposals outlined by Theresa May in October 2016, the JMC will meet on an annual basis and will rotate between London, Edinburgh, Cardiff and Belfast. It will also publish an annual report on its work and proceedings. There are three types if JMC meeting formats; plenary, domestic and European.
- Devolution of powers to Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland
- Memorandum of understanding and supplementary agreement
- JMC Annual Reports