Front page (Livorno edition), 11 October 2008
|Owner(s)||Gruppo Editoriale L'Espresso|
|Headquarters||Viale Vittorio Alfieri 9, Livorno|
History and profile
It was founded in 1877 under the name Il Telegrafo, with a moderate centrist political line. During the fascist regime, it was owned by the Ciano family. Following the Liberation, it was replaced in 1945 by Il Tirreno, and switched to a left-wing policy. From 1957 to 1976 it was known again as Il Telegrafo, but then resumed using its current name. The paper is owned by the media company Gruppo Editoriale L'Espresso and has its headquarters in Livorno.
Between 1998 and 2001 Il Tirreno had a 21% share of the Italian language newspaper market in Tuscany. The circulation of the paper was 85,786 copies in 2004 and 80,832 copies in 2008. The Espresso Group reported that the paper had a circulation of 54,900 copies in 2014.
- Roland Sarti (1 January 2009). Italy: A Reference Guide from the Renaissance to the Present. Infobase Publishing. p. 371. ISBN 978-0-8160-7474-7. Retrieved 24 December 2014.
- "Local Newspapers". Gruppo Espresso. Retrieved 15 March 2015.
- Angelo Andrea Di Castro; Marika Vicziany (2007). "Chinese Dragons in Prato" (Discussion Paper 47). Monash University. Retrieved 24 December 2014.
- "European Publishing Monitor. Italy" (PDF). Turku School of Economics and KEA. Retrieved 5 April 2015.
- Data for average circulation in 2008 Accertamenti Diffusione Stampa.
- Il Tirreno Official Website (Italian)