Estadio Universidad San Marcos
|Full name||Estadio Universidad Nacional Mayor San Marcos|
|Owner||Universidad San Marcos|
|Operator||Universidad San Marcos|
|Opened||May 13, 1951|
The Estadio Universidad Nacional Mayor San Marcos is a multi-purpose stadium located in Lima, Peru, belonging to the National University of San Marcos. It was inaugurated on May 13, 1951, with a seating capacity of 70,000 and covers an area of 48,782 m². Safety measures have been taken and they have reduced the maximum to 43,000 for the safety of the public. The stadium is used by several Second Division teams who do not have a home ground. It has a running track and is near an archaeological excavation site.
Today is the official stadium of the football team of the university, the Club Deportivo Universidad San Marcos, which plays in the second division of Peru. Besides the stadium is used for extracurricular activities for students, teachers and administrators at the University of San Marcos
The stadium of the University of San Marcos began to be built around 1943 as part of the work of the then "Pro-Unemployed Board. The western platform was placed on the Huaca Concha, the northernmost of the Complex Maranga. The other stands were built with extra padding it. The esplanade match the old sports archaeological plaza located east of Huaca.Officially opened on 13 May 1951, commemorating the 400th anniversary of founding of the Universidad Nacional Mayor de San Marcos; the opening generated great expectations as the first large-capacity stadium in Peru, which was attended by then-President Manuel Odria, his education minister and the chancellor of the university. The opening match was between the Sport Boys of Callao and Palmeiras of Brazil.
For its construction on archaeological stuffed unstable over the years, cracks appeared in the stands and large slumps. In 1993 the government of Alberto Fujimori earmarked money for the renovation of the stadium. When machines raised the floor of the esplanade of the western grandstand, which was hardest hit, were exposed bale walls and archaeological 1,500 years old. Despite this, he set the fence and custody of the place, and built new footings on the archaeological architecture.
The Stadium is also used for other kind of activities such as:
- Special Olympics (1951)
- National College Sports (1955)
- Sports National University (1983)
- Van Halen- February 18, 1983 - Hide Your Sheep Tour
- Bon Jovi- November 7, 1993 - I'll Sleep When I'm Dead Tour
- Metallica - January 19, 2010 - World Magnetic Tour
- Korn - April 15, 2010
- Gustavo Cerati - April 24, 2010
- Bon Jovi - September 29, 2010
- Green Day - October 26, 2010
- The Smashing Pumpkins and Stereophonics - November 25, 2010
- Issac Delgado and Manolin - December 10, 2010
- Iron Maiden - March 23, 2011
- Shakira - March 25, 2011, with Ziggy Marley and Train
- Slayer - June 11, 2011
- Bad Religion - October 7, 2011
- Aerosmith - October 22, 2011
- Pearl Jam - November 18, 2011
- Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds - May 11, 2012
- Juanes - Juanes MTV Unplugged Tour September 12, 2012
- Evanescence - October 25, 2012
- Lady Gaga - Born This Way Ball Tour - November 23, 2012
- Blur - October 29, 2013.
- Nightwish - Endless Forms Most Beautiful World Tour - October 6th, 2015
- Festival VIVO X EL ROCK With Sum 41, Collective Soul, Hoobastank, Puddle of Mudd, Sepultura, The Casualties - December 12, 2015
- "Peru". fussballtempel.net. Retrieved 2008-01-16.
- "Iron Maiden Peru". Iron Maiden 2011. Retrieved 2011-03-24.